Wednesday 31 October 2007

holiday time here

Thursday and Friday is a holiday here, even the tourney that we have been playing is suspended tomorrow.

This week is one of the biggest holiday weeks of the year here in the Philippines. Probably the only week with more holidays than this week is Holy Week (the week before Easter). Out of the normal 5 day week, there are 3 holidays this week! That’s right. Monday was election day for Barangay and SK elections here in the Philippines, and election day is an official holiday, so there was no school, and most businesses were closed. Tuesday and Wednesday are normal work days. All Saint’s Day is Thursday, November 1. Friday, November 2 is All Soul’s Day. Both Thursday and Friday are National Holidays, and virtually every store will be closed during this time. On Wednesday, as the eve of All Saint’s Day, many workers will work only a half day.

For All Saint’s and All Soul’s Days, many Filipinos will travel back to the Province where they came from. Starting on November 1, Filipino families will head to the cemeteries around the country to grieve for family members who have passed on ahead of them. Actually, grieve may be the wrong word for this, because it is really more of a celebration or a party. I can’t say that I fully understand the ritual, although I am aware of the goings on. People will actually bring chairs, tables, tents and such to the cemetery and they will “camp out” there for a couple of days. They will bring lots of food too - no celebration or holiday in the Philippines is complete without food! Plenty of people will bring beer or other types of drinks to the cemetery too, although I am not sure if that is really accepted. Whether drinking during this occasion is acceptable or not, lots of people do it. People will also bring boom boxes to play tunes at the cemetery. They will sing, dance and party the time away, right there at the grave sites of their ancestors.

Another ritual that I find interesting is that people will also “feed the dead.” What I mean is that they will get a plate, fill it with food, and leave it on the grave, so that the dead can also enjoy the party. It is very strange to me, but I know that this happens. I am quite sure that there are many other rituals that will be done as well, things that I have no idea about.


So if anything happens to me over here, you will all have to traipse over here every year to have a party at my graveside..... I can hear some of you say..... yes I've always wanted to dance on his grave !! Don't forget to leave some KFC for me though !!!!

The weather in the Uk doesn't look too good but neither does Toronto either, looks like your temp is about 15*, here in Manila it was 31* with only 70% humidity. I wonder if the sun will shine here tomorrow............. is the pope a Catholic !! ;-)

Hope you all have a great Wednesday

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, interesting stuff, I have read about those rituals in different countries. sounds like fun, all that celebrating and goings on. Here in Canada, Halloween is big, (they go nuts here) I am going as a---- wait for it (red hot devil!) I have a great costume, I will send you a picture of your red hot devil sister! I'm sure you will want to pass on that one.... talk to you later Gerard. love Mary

gerry said...

Hi Mary, yes I am surprised that they celebrate Halloween so much here as it is a Christian country. In the UK we never celebrated it as it is anti-Christian, we actually had an alternate celebration on the same night for children in our church.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

I see the wee barra is answering your blog before me, she must be on it first thing in the morning, cause this is 4pm in the Uk and she's already answered it, these retirees.

Found all the rituals and customs interesting, will you be part of it, what will you do over the next 5 days, with no badminton and no shops being open.

Check the weather out in Cyprus, Dawn phoned last week and said it was 30degrees. Dont know what it will be next week, we are just looking forward to the break.

As you know its Halloween tonight, my door will start knocking about 5pm until about between 8 and 9 oclock.

Cant wait to see the photo of your red hot devil sister.

Have you put any more photos or videos on the site, I'm looking forward to seeing them.

Take care

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

hi Anne, Yes I think Mary visited in the morning her time, cos I only posted my post about 9-10pm my time and I am 12 hours in front of Toronto. No these rituals are mostly in the provinces, I live in modern Makati.
It's only today ( Thursday) that most places will be closed, the tourney restarts Friday so I have no problem, today I will try and put a video on my site which will include some pics.