Wednesday 24 October 2007

Wed 8am

So it is school half term in the UK which means that the clocks go back 1 hour. So Manila will now be 8 hours in front of the UK, when I write this in the morning most of you will just be going to bed the previous day !!

I've cut down on the rice and iced tea because I still don't understand why I am putting on weight !!! so much more exercise, perspiring all day and not eating as much as before.... beats me !!!

I'm learning a few words of Tagalog which is the dialect used in Luzon where Manila is located. So many dialects here that they may as well be different countries, someone in Manila may not be able to understand someone from Leyte or Cebu, they are only an hours flight from each other and in the same country.
My words are mainly for badminton at the moment so that I can shout instructions during games in this tourney. All the people here mostly understand English even the 9 year olds speak it, considering that its not their native tongue I find that quite amazing. I try and speak slower to make it a little bit easier for them.

We had another 2 players go through yesterday and 3 were knocked out, I will be there again this morning.
Yesterday was a tiring day, we as coaches are all begining to feel it, we are all feeling tired and drained as you have to put so much in mentally during the day. It is also so hot in the hall as there is obviously no aircon, of course the players feel the heat even more.
I got home at 4pm and have just rested and slept til this morning.

I have managed to take some video of badminton and some of my travels around some areas, I will save the badminton for my sports friends but will post the other video as sooon as I can.

Manila is overcast this morning which makes a change as it is cool but the sun will come out later, you can be sure of that !!

Hope your day is restful, though it probably won't be if you live in the Uk and have children...... enjoy your half term.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, your life seems very busy in Manila with all your coaching, but your enjoying it, and having fun and thats what its all about. I'm looking forward to seeing more pictures and videos. you should be stick thin with all the exercise you are doing, are you eating healthy food or junk food. (that is the answer to the 64million dollar question)--- take care, stay safe. Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

I'm still not feeling too good still got this tummy bug, it drains you and you feel so weak. A bit like you only with the heat.

Glad you've cut down on the rice and iced tea but what are you eating instead.

Its good to learn some of their words it will come in handy if you decide to live there.

Looking forward to seeing more videos and photos.

Take care

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Mary, I'm not losing any weight at the mo which is surprising. I hope to put a video on here asap.

Hi Anne, Stomach bugs.... tell me about them !! Drink a glass of water here or forget to ensure that any drinks you have contain no ice..will give you a bug that you won't forget in a while.... believe me. I hope you feel better soon, rest and drink lots of water.
Will answer your question about what I'm eating on my blog.
Take care.