Friday 26 October 2007

Friday 7am

Well yesterday was busy with badminton as it was quarter finals day, I watched some incredible play especially from the young ones, 3 of our under 10's have reached the semis, 2 in the girls and 1 in the boys. Remember this is a National tournament. We will have to attend today after all.
You would think that as they are all under 10 that their play would be at a low level, believe me these kids are excellent, in Middlesex we have the No 1 under 11 in England and these kids would beat him...including the girls. Kian.. a boy that I have a soft spot for.... he always makes me laugh.... just turned 9 in September, he played the winner from last year, a boy of 10 that now plays for the Philippines under 11's. Kian won the first and was winning 20-17 in the 2nd ( for non badminton people, games are to 21 and the best of 3) he just needed 1 more point for victory but just couldn't manage it, he lost the 2nd 23-21 and 21-19 in the decider but what an effort. Anyone that is involved in junior sport will realise the advantage that being a year older has so Kian did exceptionally well.

The matches finished at 3pm, I then decided that I wanted to walk the road from Mandaluyong to Makati as the first 2 miles is a slum area. The heat was extreme yesterday but I persevered, I walked along the front road of the slum area which is safest, they all have their small "shops", not quite the right term but is the best to describe it as we would understand. I wanted to video it so you could all see what I see but it would have been difficult as it would have attracted even more attention to me that I was already getting, believe me I got a lot of attention...... but it's really OK, you don't see many westerners walking in this area.... I never see any other than me so obviously you are going to attract attention. There was a brief moment when I had cover and managed to video for a few seconds in a quiet area but a young girl spotted me and came over to ask for some money !.... cover blown !!

People are just generally friendly at that time of day, I get lots of shouts of " hey Joe" but I just smile and say hello, some teen boys just want to give you a high 5 as you pass to be bold in front of their friends but that's OK too. Lots of people just make comments to you for a reply, young children just stare, everyone does something, from a stare to a smile or a high 5 but it's just friendly banter which I enjoy.
I walked past some real hovels, "homes" where the sewage runs underneath your floor but you can see it !!! This makes 17 Stoneyhurst St look like a 5 start hotel in Chelsea !! I could see down some of the little alleys that obviously take you further into the complex maze of corrugated homes and I wanted so much to take a walk down there but I would definitely stand out even more. Some had a sort of street ( not wide enough for a car) that looked easier to walk down and I hope to do so one of these days, just won't be able to take my camcorder with me as I would be conscious of having it on my person.
When I look down these "streets" there is a hive of activity, lots of children running around, adults making something (I don't know what) people strolling, some sitting and drinking outside their homes. It sort of reminds me of photos of Victorian London and the East End where the waifs were playing in the streets and the mothers were washing clothes or doing something similar. I am so intrigued by these areas and can't wait to meet one of the people there that may be able and willing to accompany me around. Part of me feels like I'm intruding which I probably am but my inquisitiveness is overwhelming.

I walked for about 2 and a half hours all the way home in that heat, for the last mile I was going to get a cab but the traffic was so busy that it was quicker for me to walk, my only thoughts were... not long to go before my cold shower..... every 100 yds or so that's all I was thinking about. When you get indoors.... aircon on to it's max..... fan on at it's highest.... peel off the shirt that is sticking to your back and everything else that is too...... stand under cold shower and relax..... what a feeling.......... beauuuuuuuutifoooooooooooooool !!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you to Mary for the birthday card that I received as I got home.

Hope the temperature is comfortable wherever you are in the world

3 comments:

gerry said...

Hi yet again Anne, thanks for your message.
Yes keeyan ( I found out how to spell his name !) was unlucky and you are right his day will come.
Yes there are 2 sides to Manila..the haves and the have nots.
I do spend a lot of time in the sun but no tan or sunburn !!
The answer is no to Helens question.
Speak again soon

Anonymous said...

Hello Gerard , I read your blogs every day very enjoyable they are too, I dont reply all the time as we do not all have such an exciting life like you have . Its great you will always be able to read it all back and remenber all the up,s & downs of your journey. Those things you say you miss [ mince&totties fish &chips] Joe had m&t I had f&c...s "great stuff all the vineger and sauce dripping off your fingers ,yummmm well you are being paid back for making me envious of all the sights you see . keep it up. love Patsy to the "happy wanderer "" cheers......................

gerry said...

hi Patsy, how can you be so horrible to me.... M&T... F&C.... yes I can just imagine you enjoying them while thinking of me !!! I'm surprised that you didn't send a photo as well to really rub it in !!!!
Love Gerard