Sunday 21 October 2007

Sunday 4pm

Saturday was taken up with badminton, we had 5 players play in the tourney, 4 won and go through to the next round.
Then in the afternoon I went to las pinas to coach... and that I'm afraid is about that for Saturday.

I had a text 5 mins ago to say that Glorietta mall has been bombed again according to the radio but I didn't find any confirmation on the net so it may just be a rumour.
It is now being suggested that it wasn't done by terrorists but by the military themselves, a bid to depose the present government and the president, it is being suggested that the vice president is involved.

A big thank you to Paul Clargo for giving me a complete update on what's happening in Uxbridge.
Yes Paul it is same mall as in my photos. Sounds like you are having some exciting times there too.

I did have a walk round Manaluyong before getting a taxi home.... it was just too hot to keep walking, I would love to walk down into some of these alleys they have in the barangays, they look as though they would take you into the the bowels of the earth. Whilst walking round these areas as long as you look confident and just say Hi when someone shouts "hey Joe" and smile I feel that you will be ok. These alleys are only 3' wide and go downstairs, when I peep I can usually see someone sitting down there or at least some sort of human activity like washing hanging up. They seem to go so far in as I can just about see lights on, even though it's sunny, down there seems so dark and decrepid...... but so so interesting. One day when I have enough courage I'm going to chat to some of these guys and see if I can have a walk around down there.... maybe even video it but I think I may be pushing it if I tried that.

I hope the sun is shining in your heart at least on this restful Sunday

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,
Glad the torney went well 4 out of 5 is a great score. I have a Yonex Badminton racquet, have the gear but not the knowledge or the inclination.

I know you enjoy your walks especially to the 'no go' areas, but please take care. Can some of the filpinos not take you to these places as they would be accepted and not taken advantage of.

looked on the internet for the second bomb, could only find the story of the first bomb, sounds frightening, thank goodness you left when you did. |Better get my passport ready....

Please take care

Lol

Anne xxxx

Anonymous said...

Havent been on your blog for a couple of days, but you seem to be enjoying yourself Im not sure I would. I think I would actually be scared with everyone looking at me and being different. I am sure you are being very careful but we do worry about you and you seem so inquisitive please dont venture to much into the unknown areas. I dont know if you have been told that Jacqueline was in a bad car accident about 3 weeks ago. She and Ian were driving along the road and a car on the opposite side was turning right and the car behind that didnt see it braked and their brakes locked and went head on into them. Thankfully they were okay but very badly bruised from head to toe Jac was off work for 10 days she still has a lot of bruising and needless to say the car is a right off. I will give her your blog address so she can converse with you. Love Janice xxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, my filipino friends have to work, most live far from me and anyway I prefer to walk around alone.

Hi Jan, give my regards to Jac and I hope she visits here sometime. Thanks for your concern but I'm really ok.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, I was so busy on the weekend so I'm just getting round to checking your blog. (missed it for a few days.... My God the things that happen over there, your guardian angel has been very busy watching over you this past month with a shooting and a bomb explosion, I suggest you buy a lottery ticket, you have been so lucky this month. I should buy one for you if you win I will give you half, (how's that) I was surprised to hear they have Starbucks there, do they have Tim Horton's that is the big one here in Canada, everyone is addicted to it. so you take good care of yourself over there, you need eyes at the back of your head. talk to you later Gerard... Mary.

gerry said...

Hi Mary, what do you mean you didn't visit my blog for a few days.... next time I want a note from your mother excusing you !!!!

Sorry but never heard of Tim horton!!

It's not so bad as you may think, it's no difference really from when London was being bombed in the 70's and 80's... you just get on with life.
If I had left Glorietta 1.19pm then I would have considered myself very lucky but I left 50 mins beforehand so I wasn't even close.... the shooting was much more lucky as that was close !! But thanks for your concern. Speak again soon.... if there's no more bombs that is !