Saturday 27 October 2007

Saturday 7pm

On Friday we had 3 semi finalists, they were all knocked out, I felt the most for a 10 year old girl called Amy, she was playing in the under 12's and put up a superb fight against a bigger and more mature girl, she was playing up a group age for the experience but managed after 5 days to reach the semis, she was heartbroken not to reach the final but we all have to learn about disappointment in life.
Afterwards I again walked along the slum areas, I was more bolder this time and managed to get some photos and video too !! I will put them together as soon as I have time.

I got home about 7pm and just rested as it was a hard day.

I had to get this morning (Saturday) at 6am as the next tourney started today at 8am, there was lots of activities before the matches start at 1pm, I didn't realise this or would have stayed in bed. But it was a lot fun, there was a big crowd of us and we were at the front as the presenter was doing his thing, introducing all the big shots and giving out prizes for this and that, one was given for the team that had traveled the most to be part of the day, a team from Mindaneo won that but all the ladies on my team shouted that I came from the UK and deserved a prize, he asked them what my name was and they all screamed " GERRY MCGUIRE", so I had to go up and receive my prize and a photo shoot !!! Shucks this fame thing could go to my head !!! I have it all on video.

Anyway the tourney went well for us today most of the players went through to the next round. Filipinos are not as reserved as us in the UK when watching matches, they all stand round the court right on the lines shouting for their player, you can really get caught up in it as it is so exciting, one of kids won a very tight game in the 3rd, when he won the final point he fell to the floor screaming and was jumped upon by all his team mates and the adults were dancing on the court.... not quite British you know. It was bedlam, very like when you see a world boxing fight when the ring is crowded by people. It gobsmacked me !!

It's now just after 7pm, the games finished at 5pm and then 3 of us coaches went for a bite to eat. I will now just stay in and rest this evening as we have to do it all again tomorrow.

Sorry to all for this blog to be so much about badminton at the mo but thats what I am involved in for the time being especially with having these 2 tourneys back to back.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, hope your tournament went well today, it keeps you very busy, what happens after these finals, do you start coaching all over with the same people or another group... remember we want to see the "Gerry McGuire" photo shoot and also the other videos..... you have to stay away from those slums and all the unsafe areas and (sleazy areas) ask some of your badminton players to go with you- and it may feel safer. take care Gerard keep safe. love Mary

gerry said...

Hi Mary, yes the tourney went well today as most went through to the next round.
The "photo shoot" was only 1 pic taken for the sponsors !! ;-)
The slum areas aren't really unsafe and players can't come with me as they are working, the others wouldn't go there as they feel unsafe... paranoia !!
Take care and thanks for visiting