Tuesday 23 October 2007

It's Tuesday 8am here

Monday was a busy day, 2 players went through to the next round, 1 was an incredible match that I got on video. The standard here is so high especially with this heat, it was a great day to watch our players as they worked so hard.


In the afternoon I went for another one of my walks, just a small one as I didn't have the time.

I coached in the afternoon at my new session in Makati, they worked hard and I think they were surprised at how much work I wanted them to do.

Afterwards I went to watch Coach William play in the national doubles tourney, he was knocked out but it was a brilliant game, the speed of the Asians is so superior to us Europeans that's why they are the best in the world at this game.

Because I am a westerner, this team get a lot of kudos, in the UK if you have an asian coach everyone is impressed, it's the reverse here, so when I am in the coaches chair during tournement matches people have been asking how this team can afford to have me on their side.
The coaches and parents have told me that it gives our players confidence and the opposition feel worried when they see me as their coach. It may wear off as a lot of our players have been knocked out !!! No actually it won't as it's a cultural thing, westerners are held in high regard here... too much actually to the detriment of themselves.

At the end of the evening we went for a meal, 14 of us including kids, it was nice to part of group on foreign soil. Looking round the restaurant and to the world outside it sometimes feel strange when I realise that I am with a different culture and people... but really enjoyable.
14 people.....the bill was just over £40 paid by one of the parents... Thanks !!

When people are addressing you here there is always a title put before your name, I am known as coach gerry, outside of sport if someone knows you to show respect they may call me Kuya Gerry (if they are younger), if they don't know me personally but know my name they will call me Sir Gerry.... knighted and I have only been here 6 weeks !!!! There are other titles for females and some that I don't understand what they mean yet. Very interesting and respectful though.

There was a fire in Glorietta that some people thought was another bomb, it was just a small incident but Glorietta was evacuated just in case.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sir Gerard,
I enjoy reading your blog everyday you describe everything so well, please carry on as I feel I am in the Phillipines on holiday.....I'm allowed to dream.............


Its nice that they show you the respect you deserve, your giving up your free time to coach them and I think they are grateful, its also a good confidence boost for them.

Nothing much happening here, the dark nights will soon be drawing in I think its this weekend that we turn the clocks back.

Do you hear from a few of staff from St Andrews? I hope they keep in touch.

Spoke to brother Paul and he will let you know which Paul it is in future.
Take care

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, Thanks, it's not only the badminton players that give you that respect... it's everyone.
A friend keeps me in touch with the events at St.Andys.
Thanks for letting Paul know, does he and Patsy also know to return to the post to read my reply !
Yes it won't be too long til it is dark and cold in the UK, something that I won't miss.