Sunday 7 October 2007

Noon

Yesterday (Sat) I went to Las Pinas to do some coaching, it was a really enjoyable day. I coached some superb players mixed doubles tactics, they found it difficult at the beginning but soon got to grips with the basics, they have a National tournament in 2 weeks time and I'm hoping this pair will do well in the mixed doubles.

They have 53 players playing in this tourney !!!!! I have been given the honour of being part of the coaching team to attend, they presented me with the Tourney shirt with my name on the back. I stayed on and helped with coaching some adults and played some games also.

On the way home by cab we passed through the "rough" areas, they look so interesting and really these are the places that I would love to walk through to look around. There are so many people doing so many things, so different from home. I'm constantly told that I shouldn't go there by people, which I abide by but I don't think it is as bad as people say. Sure I would get a lot of looks but that is normal..... a white face amongst a background of brown faces does stand out and gets you a lot of attention at times.

I got home at 11pm but was hungry so went out to the local bar/grill for a snack and a beer. I walked home just after midnight and as usual got accosted by some street children selling flowers, I never buy because I know that it is just a ploy to attain some cash, not even for the kids, somewhere in the street will be someone that is organising them. It may be their parents or a "minder" of sorts but at a guess he/she is the one that gets the cash.
Anyway I refused as usual, there was 3 of them, a 12/13 year old girl and 2 boys about 8/9 all streetwise of course. They asked if I could buy them something to eat as they were very hungry, they did look it and didn't look in the best of shape with teeth missing and poorly dressed. So as it pulled at the heartstrings and I wasn't giving them money I thought OK I will help this time, they knew exactly where a mini mart was, just 50 yds from my condo. Anyway we go inside, the employees know the situation as I am obviously not the first sucker (tourist) to go along with this, they try for some expensive sweets............ NO you will have the basics.. chicken and rice..... so they are happy, then they ask for a drink............... OK no problem.
An adult of the same ilk entered and spoke to them... mother I would guess, anyway that is it I pay and we all go our own way.
I have seen these kids many times selling rubbish flowers or begging, it is so sad but it is difficult with so many of them around. I wonder if they eat the food or is it then shared with the adults.... probably.
So instead of giving them a few pesos I ended up spending 300 pesos on food, did I do the right thing... probably yes, did I help overall.... probably no. Would I do it again... probably yes but next time I would insist that they sit down in the mart so I can see that they actually get to eat the food.

Wherever you are in the world I hope you and your children eat well today and are healthy.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

GERARD, YOU ARE A "BUSY BEE " AND YOU MOST CERTAINLY ARE GETTING LOADS OF EXERCISE , ITS HEARTBREAKING TO THINK CHILDREN STILL LIVE IN THESE SITUATIONS , YES YOU DID DO THE RIGHT THING , AS YOU SAY NEXT TIME YOU WILL WATCH THEM EATING IT .[GOOD BOY ] AT LAST "SUNSHINE " FOUR GLORIOUS DAYS .TAKE CARE .LOVE PATSY......

Anonymous said...

dear Gerry, there is a huge gap between the have's and the have nots..you don't see that much at home. I'm sure you did the right thing. It doesn't seem fair that a very small percentage of the poulation have so much, when others do not. You see that all the time here, people working really hard for very little money ( and for once I am not talking about myself). You just have to help in any way you can. we are enjoying the blog and the i pod
Love Ruth

gerry said...

Hi Patsy, thanks for your comments, yes it is sad, glad to hear that you have some sunshine at home.

Hi Ruth, nice to hear from you again, yes you're right about the differences in some cultures, you are in a similar situation as I. Yes you can only help where you can but there is so many that we don't see and can't help but I suppose that's life. I am hoping to get involved with a chidrens home here in the Phils ( just sponsorship) but they aren't easy to find.
There are facities for children to keep them off the streets but apparantly they don't like to stay there so they keep running away to be with the people that they know.

I know of one childrens home in Leyte which is doing great things so may look there.

Hi Anne, don't worry so much, it isn't as bad as you think, the children aren't decoys with some big gangster waiting for me round a corner with a gun.... it's possible but highly unlikely... hey I live in Legaspi village don't you know..... things like that don't happen here :-))