Saturday 13 October 2007

Sunday

After feeling bad on friday I woke up on saturday feeling good. I went to Las Pinas in the afternoon and had a really enjoyable but hard session. Today was the last day that I could put them through a really hard session as they have to rest and only train to a level that will keep them ready for the tourney on Saturday. They worked hard and enjoyed the session, I really have bonded with these players although it's only been 3 weeks. I look forward to watching them play in this national tourney next saturday, I can't expect too much as I have only had 3 weeks with them.

I have only been here for 5 weeks but I really do enjoy it here, ok maybe not working at all may be part of it but I feel that it's much more than that. I really enjoy the community spirit here and have made many friendships in the 5 short weeks that I've been here. I will be able to give a more balanced opinion by this time in April next year. The thought of returning to London at the mo isn't very appealing, I wouldn't feel that I am returning home, I would feel that I am leaving home.... as home to me feels like the Philippines. The future will answer that question.

The society here isn't ruled by 18 - 30 year olds, there is no graffitti, people behave themselves in the streets, I never see any drunks anywhere. people are polite and friendly and really welcoming. For example I was coaching badminton tonight, the parents always made sure that I had enough liquid to keep me hydrated and whenever I had a break, food was put in front of me to keep me going without me giving any indication that I needed any nourishment. The main thing though is that they always have a smile on their faces which is contagious !!!!!

I wondered why the players here especially at under 11 level are so advanced from players in the UK, after watching the training I can only guess that there is a difference in culture, the young players here aged 8-11 train really hard, as hard as I train my 12-17 years old. I couldn't train my young players that hard as they physically couldn't do the same training as they do here especially with the heat. Also the parents in the Uk have complained to me that we push their children too hard............ my goodness if they could see how the children train here they would be gobsmacked. In the UK in my group I have the No 1 under 11 player in the UK, but here in this small group I have found 4 or 5 players that are equal or better than him and they have no sponsorship or help from any sporting body. There is at least 6 players that I would love to have in my group at home and they would all be sponsored as they are that good. There is one 8 year old boy here that is better than anyone that I have ever seen in my life as a coach, remembering that I have seen young players years ago that now play at the highest levels.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi gerard, your trip seems to be going very well over there, settling in quite nice (getting quite cosy) we can always come and visit you, I bet your going NOOOOO!!!!!! everything is fine here we will be heading down to Florida for the winter months for some hot weather, although we cant complain we have had a glorious summer in Canada scorching weather from May till October now its starting to cool down a bit... glad you are all up and running (makes life easier) looking forward to seeing your pictures. take care. stay well your big sister. Mary.

gerry said...

Hi Mary, so you're going down to Florida for your annual hibernation... follow the sun...I know.
Pics should be posted soon.
My BIG sis.... 5' nothing and 50 kilos when wet !!!..... ??

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard

Glad to here everything is going well and that you are enjoying life over there. Just come back from a week in Majorca very nice.
Take Care

Janice from Skegness your sister in law with love xxxx

gerry said...

Hi Janice, so how did your holiday go ? I sent Maurice a text on Saturday but have had no reply as of yet !! Is he still recovering from the hols !