Thursday 18 October 2007

Thursday 11am

Well last night was a lot of fun, I did the guest speaker thing, I was fully prepared for it with my cards, glasses etc, I didn't realise that I would have to use a hand held mike so the only small problem that I had was the mike and the cards were both under my nose !!!! But it went down well. Amazingly of all the people there no-one drunk any alcohol at all, I was eyeing a bottle of beer but thought I would wait until I seen someone else drink one too but they never did, I thought they were Christians here not Mormons !!!!

I was supposed to be there at 6.30 so I left my condo at 5.15pm for the 45 minute ride, the first cabbie as usual asked for 500p with no meter when it should only be about 170p so I told him to take a hike, the best deal that I could get was 100p above the meter price so it ended costing me the 270... these cabbies are a pain.... they keep saying it's because of the traffic.... hey it's Manila there is traffic every day, I've told them that if they are concerned about traffic maybe they should do something else. It's like me saying that there is a lot of kids around today..... It's a SCHOOL what should I expect !!!!
Anyway the upshot of it all was that I didn't get there until 7pm, I didn't realise that there is an expressway but the cabbies don't use it because of the extra charge for the toll, I used it on the way back and told the cabbie that I would pay the 48p toll..... I was back in my condo in 30 mins!! Lesson learned...... ask for the expressway.

I have a couple of quiet days coming up today and tomorrow, I am going to visit the areas that I really find interesting but am not supposed to visit. Early evening should be ok, I will have to buy a new camera as it refused to work last night which was as shame as I would've liked some pics from the dinner.

It is overcast again this morning but the sun did come out yesterday, we did have 30 mins of rain also but considering this is the rainy season that's the only rain we've had in a week.

Hope you have a great day wherever in the world you are visiting from.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Your getting to be really important over there. With your public speaking which I know you enjoy and as you were prepared it would have gone down very well. The stonyhurst st boy standing in the middle of a crowd in Manilla and sprouting forth I would have loved to be a fly on the wall and that was without a drink. When you read my poem at my party you already had 6 beers and did exceptionally well.

You'll have to get this thing sorted out with the taxi drivers especially as you have another 6 months to go. You don't want an argument every time you have to use them, can you not hire a car......

Hope you've bought a new camera and take care when you visit the places you're not supposed to go to.

Will read your blog tomorrow to make sure your ok.

LOL

Anne xxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, thankx for that, I am allowed to drive here but the problem is the same as in london, there is nowhere to park.

The problem with my camera was simply the new batteries that I had put in, after reading them it said that they can not be put in backwards !! You know most gadgets want one batterie up and the other down.... bot with these you don't.... crazy.