Friday 19 October 2007

A 5 hour walk around Pasay

I wanted to visit an area that looked really interesting, I had spotted it when I have been in a cab driving home from Las Pinas, I never really knew where the area was except that there was a huge bus terminal called "5 star". Anyway I asked at reception if they knew where it was but they didn't, we tried the cab firms but no cabs were available to take me there. So I told them that I would buy a map and walk there, they thought that I was mad, they were saying that it would take me 5/6 hours to get there and it wasn't a good idea. I know that Filipinos are not very good when it comes to walking anywhere they prefer to take a cab, Jeepney or trycicle.

I looked at the map and it didn't look that far so off I went, I was right within 90 mins I was approaching Pasay. I wasn't sure which way to go so just kept walking, the main roads started to fade and I found myself walking along small roads and dirt tracks, have you ever had that feeling as you walk along that says...... I don't think I should be walking along here and you say to yourself, no problem there will be a main road here shortly but as you walk you just keep getting deeper and deeper into an area that makes you feel uncomfortable. I didn't really feel unsafe as it was only the afternoon but people round here don't see many Caucasians as people were stopping whatever they were doing to look at me. I wanted to take some photos but couldn't as I would've felt like a bit stupid as everyone was just looking at me, I also had my camcorder with me hidden in a shoulder bag, I must stress I didn't feel that unsafe just uncomfortable. I continued to walk.. looking as confident as I could and smiling at anyone that took my gaze. I eventually ended up in this village selling all sorts of things, I would've liked to have looked and strolled around but it's not so easy when everyone is looking at YOU !!

Eventually I hit a main road.... my comfort zone returned...... I'm near the Skyway with a freeway beneath, alongside all of that is this area of corrugated huts and dwellings, I took a lot of photos here, people were living under part of the bridge and even had some sort of meeting which I took a pic of. I follow these homes around the freeway wall, there were some friendly children there that came to talk to me but they didn't speak English and I don't speak Tagalog, so it was just....... where (you) from......... uk.... strange looks, obviously don't attend school so probably don't know what I'm talking about, but they were sweet kids and I got a nice pic of them.
I continued along the freeway as it heads towards Makati where I live, the pavement is only 18" wide, I suppose it's not meant for people to walk along. I just kept walking............... for 2 MILES.... I couldn't get off it, fumes were choking me, people driving past must have thought what a plonker !! Anyway eventually it splits going into 2 directions but neither have a pavement ??......... there was 3 ladies cleaning an area alongside the freeway, I asked them is there a way I can get off here........... no problem they simply walked on the freeway with their brooms and stopped all 4 lanes of traffic for me........... only in the Philippines !!! I was grateful to be off it and popped straight into the first mart to get a drink of orange as I was so dry. I then just walked the rest of the way home, though I was tiring near the end with the heat and humidity I refused to get a cab for the last mile, when I reached Lagaspi village where I live, I popped into Starbucks and proceeded to spill a very large cup of coffee all over myself which looked as though I had just wet myself, so with my bag trying to cover me I retreated to my condo for a shower, change of clothes and a restful evening. There is still places that I want to visit in the evening, this time I am going to try and look less like a tourist.

Hope your day is as stress free as mine will be.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Thx so much for phoning to let me know you are alright. I was driving at the time so couldnt speak to you, have jut arrived in and am answering immediately.

Glad that you're safe and you finished your shopping at 12.30, reading the article it happened about 1.30 so someone is looking over you.

You must have been a bit frightened walking along the road, then a dirt track and everyone looking at you, I would have been terrified. Please be careful wheere you go.....

I hope the 5 star bus terminal was worthwhile (or did you not reach it.

What with badminton and all this walking you must be losing a lot of weight I think I should come over and join you, along with the wee barra.

Well Gerard, please keep safe.

LOL

Anne xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Gerard ,read your latest blog I think you should get yourself back home twice you have been lucky lets hope there are no more of these escapades . thanks for you postcard I recieved it yesterday . Never mind all this walking TAKE THE CABS I know I would be sh.. scared . Michael has been staying with us for the past few days he is going home tomorrow . Good luck next time you go on "A walk about "I think you had best take your gaurdian angel with you . love Patsy........

gerry said...

Hi Anne, No it is not fear at all just uncomfortable. No I didn't find the 5 start terminal after all.
You would think with all that playing and walking that I would LOSE weight but no I'm putting it on ???

Hi Patsy, thanks but it isn't such a big deal as it may sound, I love walking about and having a look around, people only stare out of curiousity. The bomb thing happened outside an entrance that I rarely use.

Anonymous said...

Wot are u like gerry boy!? Glad ure gettin plenty of exercise on these 90 minute walks but i would stress can we see more pics of the hot phillie girls please. B careful and dont look at anyone in the wrong way, i must ask have u found KFC yet?

Paul (The young attractive one from Lincolnshire)

gerry said...

Hi Paul (skeggie) they are usually 4/5 hours walk, the 90mins was just to get to the first place, yes I will try and include some pics of the Filipinas for you. I have found many KFC's I'm afraid !!