Thursday 11 October 2007

BB............... the legend

Well as usual... no BB, it may be today !!!! ;-)

I have managed to get online at home though, if I kneel on the sofa with my laptop pressed against the window I can piggyback an unsecured network, which is what I'm doing now. Of course it drops a lot but beggars can't be choosers.

The weather was great yesterday, very hot but little humidity which was a nice change.

I am up on the 18th floor, mozzies are not supposed to fly very high, they say if you live above the 7th floor that you won't see them. Well pardner they sure fly to my condo !! I reckon there's a mozzie somewhere near the ground that tells all his mates that there is a juicy foreigner on the 18th and it's worth the effort. All my windows are closed so I can only presume that they get in via the aircon. I must admit though that I don't get bitten as much as I did the first 2 weeks.

As you would expect there is a lot of begging over here but not always what you would expect, of course you have the street kids and you have the blind ones being guided around by a helper, but there is another kind too. The hard luck story ones, I'm not saying that they are lying but then again every one here can tell you a hard luck story. They are usually quite well dressed young ladies maybe even mums with their children but always about to tell you their story if you listen but it will always have the same ending.... can you give me some money. You have to be firm as I am and just say "no thanks" and carry on walking. You can always see someone about to approach you, it's like a radar for them but also for me too, I keep my peripheral vision wide, so that I can see when anyone is going to accost me then I speed up to give them a body swerve.

You also have the "hotel employee", this is usually a guy, you may just be walking down the street and he will walk alongside you and say "hi sir, do you remember me I work in your hotel" of course most foreigners stay in hotels as they are tourists, this is their get your attention icebreaker, they may walk with you for a while using friendly talk then they will give you their hard luck story, "need money for a sick child...mother....grandma...caribou...whatever. I got clever to this on a previous trip and I used to say " which hotel", this caught a few of them out. In my first week here on this trip I got one H.E walk with me, I asked him which hotel but he did know where I was staying, I think he followed me when I left my hotel to sound more truthful. Unfortunately I simply ignore everyone that is about to approach me, they rarely get past "excuse me sir" before I am about 5 yards away of them.

No comments: