Wednesday 26 March 2008

Wednesday

Well it was a nice start to the morning to watch England win the series against New Zealand.... interesting finale from young Southee.

That's the end of the cricket now until I get home. So that's a goodbye.

I also had to say my first goodbye to a friend that left this morning to go back home to their province.

I guess from on in there is going to be a lot of goodbyes.

I didn't do much today as I was tired from rising at 5am to watch the cricket, I had to do a few chores.... same things as at home.... I had to go and pay my electric, water and cable bills, I walked to the bank to pay and I seem to walk around now with different eyes, I see things that I have taken for granted til now... I realise that things are going to change shortly......

I stopped in one of the coffee shops in Glorietta and just watched the world go by...... and lots of pretty Filipinas too :-) It was nice to sit there and soak in the atmosphere that I have become used to. The waitress calling out "Sir Gerry" when my coffee is ready, she knows my name and seems pleased to see me each time.... no I don't tip her !!!

I sit there on the comfy chair looking out onto the concourse as so many people walk past smiling, young women holding the wrist of their friend ( strange that, they hold the wrist like they are leading them somewhere ), 2 young guys with their arms around each others shoulders ( kids do that in the UK but adults..NEVER), so many people but more importantly so many smiles.... I wonder why ?? Is it the same in the UK but I've just never noticed.... I wonder ? The thing is I always found that at home in the UK whenever the sun was shining, my spirits were lifted ( no not whisky, I lifted that in the evenings), of course here the sun is always shining.... which is a big plus.

Walking in the back entrance to my building the armed guard says " good afternoon sir, enjoy your lunch ?", I reply in the positive as I make my way into the building, a young lady is coming through the door as I reach it, she says " hello sir" as she holds the door for me, I say hi and usher her through first... she is a staff member and appreciates me putting her first. I reach the elevator.... I mean the lift.... but remember to go in and check my mail first, yes there is another envelope for me, just then someone again says "Hello Sir Gerry", it's Teddy, he is some sort of condo broker and has been trying to sell me a condo for months, but he's not the pushy type. He also looks after my condo on behalf of the owner, whenever I have a problem I simply call him and he has it fixed. I don't have to change a light bulb as Teddy sends someone to do it for me.... I like that !!
It is all very small talk but I appreciate it as in the UK few people would speak to me at all and they certainly wouldn't call me "Sir"...... I've been called a lot of things in the streets of London and "Sir" was never one of them !!!!

Hopefully the above will give you a little insight as to some of the reasons that I like things here in Manila.... and did I mention that the sun shines EVERY day !!!!

Enjoy your Wednesday.......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean that the sun lifts your spirits, there is a illness now called sad which is seasonal adjusted disorder which is when you mood is very low in the winter months not depression just feeling really down and I think I get that in the Winter I hate dark days and love bright sunny days it doesnt have to be hot just bright thats what I would like about over there the brightness. Now you have become Sir Gerry do I have to curtsy when I see you. Life over there sounds in some parts like it used to be here when we were kids, simple. Although you say it can be very violent. Manners we have most certainly lost over here and parental control over their kids thats if they know who their parents are, stop harping on Jan.

lots of love Janxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,
have just read wednesdays blog,have to stop for one minute to check my lottery,RUBBISH, I thought maybe I could have said,Gerard, just stay where you are, I will pay for everything for as long as you want,but it would have to be a good few million to cater for the whole CLAN.(family).
I see Mary has been in touch again,
you are both coming home to the real world,but you can look forward to going back again.I will
say goodnight for now.
LOL HELEN.
you will hear from Anne very soon.

gerry said...

Hi Jan, Yes I know what you mean about the brightness.. that is what counts.
Yes you have to curtsy, make lots of meals, do my washing, ironing and never complain.... sorry I forgot you aren't Filipino !!
Yes it is very simple here mostly and yes it can be violent too but not as much as the UK. Of course I agree with your kids comments.

Hi Helen, yes the lottery is not easy to win anything on.