Friday 21 March 2008

Friday.......... " The pleasure of getting old".

Today was just a total day of rest as there was nothing else to do.

Makati was like a morgue, I went out to get something to eat and was hoping that anywhere was open, only McDonalds I'm afraid. There was so few people and cars on the streets, I could walk across Legaspi street without bothering about cars... amazing.

I read Thursday's newspaper while I was eating and I found an interesting article called " The pleasure of getting old"..... is there any ?? well for anyone my age or older you may find it of interest... as it has been a quiet day it will fill up some space.

Written by a female author:

The other day a young person asked me how I felt about being old, I was taken aback for I do not think of myself as old. Upon seeing my reaction, she was immediately embarrassed, but I explained that it was an interesting question, and I would ponder it and let her know.
Old age, I decided, was a gift.

I am now, probably for the first time of in my life, the person that I have always wanted to be.
Oh, not my body ! I sometimes despair about my body, the wrinkles, the baggy eyes, and the sagging butt. And often I am taken aback by that old person that lives in my mirror (who looks like my mother), but I don't agonize over those things for long.

I would never trade my amazing friends, my wonderful life, my loving family for less grey hair or a flatter belly. As I've aged, I've become more kind to myself, and less critical of myself. I've become my own friend. I don't chide myself for eating that extra cookie, or for not making my bed, or for buying that silly cement gecko that I didn't need, but looks so avante garde on my patio, I am entitled to a treat, to be messy, to be extravagant.

I have seen too many dear friends leave this world too soon; before they understood the great freedom that comes with aging.
Whose business is it if I choose to read or play on my computer until 4am and sleep until noon ?
I will always dance with myself to those wonderful tunes of the '60s and '70s, and if I, at the same time, wish to weep over a lost love, I will.
I will walk the beach in a swimsuit that is stretched over a bulging body, and will dive into the waves with abandom if I choose to, despite the pitying glances from the jet set. They too, will get old.

I know that sometimes I am forgetful, but there again, some of life is just as well forgotten. And I eventually remember the important things.
Sure, over the years my heart has been broken. How can your heart not break when you lose a loved one, or when a child suffers, or even when somebody's beloved pet gets hit by a car ? But broken hearts are what gives us strength and understanding and compassion. A heart never broken is pristine and sterile and will never know the joy of being imperfect.

I am so blessed to have lived long enough to have my hair turning grey, and to have my youthful laughs be forever etched into deep grooves on my face. So many have never laughed, and so many have died before their hair could turn silver.
As you get older, it is easier to be positive. You care less about what other people think. I don't question myself anymore. I've even earned the right to be wrong.

So, to answer your question, I like being old it has set me free. I like the person that I have become. I am not going to live forever, but while I am still here, I will not waste time lamenting what could have been, or worrying about what will be.
And I shall eat dessert every single day. (If I feel like it).

May our friendship never come apart especially when it's straight from the heart. May you always have a rainbow of smiles on your face and in your heart forever and ever !


Author unknown.


I wish that I could agree with it all but..........



England are 4 for 3 (cricket V N.Z) at the moment so life is not looking good at all !!!!!!!!

I hope your weekend is better than how mine has started !!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Am on the computer a wee bit early, have been booking car hire, flights and car parking for our Aberdeen trip.

Its a very quiet and hungry Holy Week for you. Its hard to imagine that you could walk across Legaspi street, especially when it is usually so busy.

That was an interesting article about the pleasure of getting old, a lot of it was so so true.
My pleasure in getting old is life seems a lot quieter and I am not running around after everyone I just see to little old me, I feel I have more me time. You don't have to go shopping as much cos you don't go out in the evening as much hence no need for new clothes. So I am thankful I have reach this old age and I shall try and enjoy every minute.

Hope the cricket improves..........

Take care LOL
Anne xxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, I hope you enjoy your "business" trip !

So there are some plusses about getting old.... I have found only 1 or 2 but I am still young'ish... well still under 60 !!!