Sunday 30 March 2008

My Badminton tourney...

I was up at 6am this morning, got ready and left my condo at 7am, got an honest cabbie straight away and I arrived in Las Pinas at 7.45, the fare was only 230 pesos and I gave him a 100p tip..... well he was honest, it was a Sunday and I was in a good mood !

The tourney got under way at 8.30am and continued without a break until 9.35pm, I am extremely tired and I didn't even play. How the players managed I'll never know as it was 125* in the hall. It was a very successful day, the organisers were brilliant and everything went very smoothly.

I did my speech just before it began and walked around watching lots of the games, some were simply fantastic, the talent here is quite unbelievable, we also had a young but tall filipina that is the No 1 under 14 and No 1 under 18 female in the Phils, she of course won her class easily.

I also had to give out the awards throughout the day, you know the thing, they stand on the rostrum and I put the medal with the ribbon around their necks then lots of photos are taken,some official and the others were usually their parents or friends.
I must have had my picture taken somewhere between 300-500 times today. People again were coming to me and asking if they could have a picture taken with me !! Famous for nothing but it makes them happy.

All in all it was a fantastic but tiring day for everyone. The next part of the "Coach Gerry McGuire" series is in July but alas I won't be here. Lots of people have talked to me and asked me to stay... which is nice of course but simply can't be.... for the moment anyway.

I had to say a few more goodbyes tonight, some people that are going away on holiday and don't return until after I have left...... :-(

I hope you all had a great weekend.................................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

I think that's a first that you got an honest cabbie without a lot of hassle.

Glad the tourney went well it must be great to see so many good players but sad that most of them wont get a chance to play at a higher level.

Have you videod your speech, would love to hear it someday. You must feel honoured to be respected so much. Did you go out for the evening to celebrate.

Its sad to say your goodbyes but just remember its not forever, you will be returning.

Take care
LOl
Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, yes the cabbie was a good stat to my day.
A few of the players will get to play with the Philippines national team, 1 boy I reckon will become the Philippines No 1 player if he continues with his natural progress.

No I didn't video my speech ( thank goodness) they say that the camera puts 10lbs on you... I am bad enough without that.... though there were lots of video cameras in my face during the day... but I don't have to see them !!
Yes I do feel honoured... very much so.
I couldn't go out for the evening as the tourney didn't end until 9.35pm and it is a 1 hour drive home for me, we did stop at chow king though on the way to stop our bellies rumbling. Sweet and sour pork with rice is 65p... just a small portion though but sufficient.
Yes I will return but so many people have been so kind in asking me to stay. They so many nice undeserved things about me.