Wednesday 12 March 2008

Wednesday..............

Had a very quiet day... well we all do don't we........ I just went out for lunch, bought some shopping and that's about it.

It's 10.30pm so will be going to bed shortly as I have to be up at 5am to watch the cricket again.

I am playing badminton tomorrow night,the first time this year, I have been in Vietnam 2 weeks, in Mindanao for nearly 4 weeks and was ill for 3 weeks so haven't really had the opportunity or desire to be honest.

You all know that the badminton academy that I have been involved with have a big tourney organised using my name. It has over 400 adult and junior players involved, it is over 4 quarters of the year so is a big and long tourney.

Anyway I am playing with this guy and his friends, he is a journalist for a national newspaper and has 2 badminton websites. He has interviewed me for his websites.

I have mentioned before that being a journalist in this city is a dangerous job to have, he was telling me that you get used to it but he still gets scared if anyone in a car rolls down the window in traffic, that is the usual form of assassination, that or a motorbike pulls up next to you and pop pop... you're history. He offered me a lift, I made a mental note to sit in the rear seat !!!



Hope you all have a great week....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, It's me again, I will be short and sweet this time, I know I get long winded and forget when to stop...I have been missing your "very interesting blogs" I would love to have been in Mandaluyong with you and seen all that you saw..Oh well next time your going give me a shout and I will join you...seriously you have lived a lifetime in that short period of time, and only one month left, that will be a sad day when you leave..we are getting down to the wire too, only one month left, although we can be out of Canada for six months at a time...but I must say weve really enjoyed ourselves and packed a lot in (as usual)... the weather is great the light nights are in and all is well..but it does have to end sorry to say.. so Gerard I will sign off now as I only have five minutes left in the library and I have to email my wee boys. talk soon love your big sister Mary

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, did you get my blog twice I clicked on twice as I didnt know if it went the first time sorry about that. Mary

Anonymous said...

HELLO me again just so you know that I am reading your site. Those kids in the park are smashing arnt they, its really sad though isnt it, I suppose you have got used to seeing poverty but it doesnt seem fair. There again her mother is doing the best she can. The poster looks good it will look great in your lounge framed. A famous McGuire, what next. Love Janxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,
Just had a call from Helen. She sat at her computer today, all by herself, typed a very long interesting blog to you and then it disappeared. She waited until I came in from work to see if I knew how to retrieve it but I had gone out for a Chinese, by the time I came back there were two messages on my answerphone from her, she was exasperated. It took her almost an hour to answer your blog then she lost it.

Hope the cricket is better . Derek is in New Zealand at the moment and Keith got a call from I think the BBC wanting Derek to do the commentating on this game from London.

Glad you are back at the Badminton you get a lot of enjoyment out of it and they all enjoy your company and your knowledge of badminton.

Take care
LOl

Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Mary, Yes just 4 weeks for both of us... I don't know about you but I'm dreading going home !!

Hi again Mary, I did get your "comments" twice.
I had 3 comments from you, I got excited as I thought I had new viewers !!!!

Just to get the vocabular correct to all, I post on my blog and you comment.


Hi Jan, yes you actually feel that you would love to take them home with you and yes the parents are doing their best but they are at the bottom of society here, it isn't easy to get yourself out of it as they have no benefit system here.
Can you imagine what would happen in the UK if it was the same there... work or don't eat !!!
That may be a good idea to frame that poster, they gave me 1 of the originals so I could do it.

Hi Anne, tell Helen I'm sorry that happened to her, I tend to highlight and copy all posts before publishing just in case that happens.
Yes I just saw Derek on TV, Ian Botham mentioned that he was there.
I think he was talking to Richard Hadlee.
Yes I'm looking forward to playing badminton today but I'd better have a nap as I have been up since 3am... couldn't sleep.