Sunday 23 March 2008

Sunday 10pm

I was up early as usual at 5am to watch England play New Zealand, it was a great day for cricket but an even better day for England taking 7 wickets in the afternoon session (Anne you can tell Keith I was right as I did say to him that England would do the same to NZ but admittedly I didn't think it would be the 2nd session).

Manila is still quiet and I think it will be for a few more days yet. I've had a quiet day, cricket and just doing bits and pieces, now i will just get some sleep before I get up again tomorrow morning for cricket again.

I spoke to my sis Anne on the phone yesterday, we spoke about a few things but one of them was about Filipinos going on holiday outside of the country, I'm sure that a lot of people in the UK just take it for granted.... if you want to go on holiday you just go into a travel agent and book it, if you are traveling far you may need a visa, this is usually a done deal if you live in the UK.

It's not the same if you live here in the Phils, if you want to go abroad it isn't so easy, you have to get a visa not only from the country that you are visiting but first of all you need permission from Philippine emigration before you can go ahead.

Most applicants are turned down, they may allow you to travel more freely in Asia but if you are thinking of the U.S or the UK then it is more difficult. You have to prove that you will return, if you have a good business and property you will probably be OK but other than that you can forget it... you will be refused permission to leave. Even if a UK or US citizen gave you the money for the air fare and even agreed to sponsor you when you are abroad, your chances would be so slim as to be negligible.
We constantly hear people complain of immigrants and how easy it is for them to get into the UK and taking our jobs etc..... well please don't include Filipinos in that, the only Filipinos that you meet in the UK will be bona fide, usually well off ones that are allowed to visit for a holiday or others that have been granted a work permit whenever we need more nurses.

Hope you all had a great wekend..................

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Glad you enjoyed the cricket, Keith is watching at the moment, it is almost 11 o'clock.

I had Leigh,Dave,Kevin & Kelley for lunch at short notice, so thought I would go for some shopping, alas all were closed I didn't think we closed on Easter Sunday. I thought the only day in the year that the shops closed was Christmas Day but I found out different today.

I was shocked to hear that the Filipinos don't holiday outside their country mostly because of red tape and of course the money, you just take it for granted.

I told you there was a filipino lady at my church and you said I should speak to her. Well I spoke to her husband and she is not filipino, she is chinese and she has settled well into this country.

I will miss this blog on your return. I think you should keep it up but I wont answer it as much as I feel you are safer in the UK than the Philippine's.

Take care

LOL

Anne xxxxxxx

gerry said...

HI anne, on Easter Sunday everything is always closed.... just a little hint that we used to be a Christian country.
Yes lots of Filipinos can sometimes have the money but are still not allowed.
CHINESE.... wow I could tell the difference a mile away... Filipinos really stand out to me, there are some filipinos with chinese Malay blood but they are so different from Chinese... it's like chalk and cheese... maybe because I have been involved for a year or two.

You mean that you only visit because of safety issues...believe me you should be more worried when I am in the UK.... and there was me thinking that it was because my blog was interesting and informative !!!

The cricket was excellent as you can imagine and I am looking forward to the start of play in 5 hours time.. I really hope that New Zealand go for it... if they get the runs then they deserve to win the series but obviously I don't think that they will.