Saturday 22 March 2008

Saturday

Not doing much at the mo, a very quiet time all round. Manila is still very quiet as it is still holy week.

As we all know it's getting very close now to me returning to the UK, each day that passes I get more and more sad, I walked around Makati today and as I passed the points of interest that I have become accustomed to, I thought to myself..." I won't be seeing this again or for a while at least".

I love sitting in my lounge in the evening, I may be watching TV or reading a book but just to my right I can see the beautiful lights of the Makati skyline.

I love it when I am up early in the morning and I can see the sun come up over the buildings, the city is starting to come to life, people start leaving their buildings to go to work, the traffic begins to build up, the street vendors are setting up their stalls to prepare for the day, and 1000's of ordinary shop assistants spilling out of jeepneys coming into Makati to their jobs in the big malls.

I enjoy it when I leave or enter my building when the guys on the door open it for me with a good morning sir and the receptionist smiles and asks me how am I today. I enjoy my walk into Glorietta in the sunshine (always sunshine), I walk through Greenbelt mall past the many shops and stalls that I am used to seeing each day heading to either the coffee bar or for something for lunch.

I will miss so many people smiling at me every day, so many people wanting to talk with me especially in other parts of Manila, I will miss the girls asking me where are you going sir, what is your name, can I have your cell phone number please.... that doesn't happen very often in Uxbridge... yes you are right... it NEVER happens, after reaching 50 in the UK you don't exist anymore !!!

I will miss my long walks, the difference between some of the places that I see and normal life at home is so extreme. I will miss the little bit of danger that you face here as wherever you go you always stand out like a sore thumb, if there are any robbers around you WILL be the target. Yet I have lived here and visited many places that I have been told not to, and still no-one has robbed me.... so what is wrong with me that's what I want to know !! I feel quite insulted ;-)

All in all, I will miss Manila and the lifestyle VERY VERY much.

I hope your Easter weekend is going well.........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Don't get too sad, just look at it that you will be returning as soon as possible. You've had a good 7 months everything has gone well for you, the only thing is it will be the last time you will be in that apartment but the next one might be better. Look on the bright side it was only a dream this time last year.......but it does sound beautiful....

Don't be insulted because you haven't been targeted just remember my prayers have been answered .. so far........

Enjoy the rest of your stay.

Take care

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, Yes I may be able to return soon but really who knows, in the meantime I will have to live in the UK with my thoughts elsewhere.

The target thing was just a joke.

Would you believe it's now 10am and I still can't see my Saturday post yet !! I had to sign in to reply to your post but I still can't see it ?? ........ weird.