Monday 31 March 2008

played badminton.... well sort of..

I played badminton tonight, well I was on the court anyway... "playing" was maybe a bit of an exaggeration. I really am struggling these days, my game has hit rock bottom and it is sooooooooooooooo disappointing. I am so slow and now with my knees giving up the ghost my playing ability is zero ! I haven't aged well in the last 2/3 years ;-(

On the bright side though I am still enjoying my time here, it was so hot today but I did go out for lunch and do some shopping. I couldn't stay out there very long as the heat is debilitating. After that long day yesterday I even had to have a long nap this afternoon. Coach William drove into Makati to pick me up and take me to Las Pinas, he has done that a lot lately which is very kind as it is a long way for him.

Another good friend "Arnel" wanted to drive me home tonight as he felt that he never gets the chance to talk to me much, he has a lovely wife and 4 children, 3 boys and a girl... the whole family play badminton and they are all very good especially the teenage boys. Arnel and I get on really well, he has travelled a lot around Europe with his business so is a bit more knowledgeable about geography and other cultures.
I think if I lived here we would be best of friends.

well it is now 12.30am Tuesday here so I have only 8 days to go.....in case you wonder why it says it's Monday above this post, the reason is that I still have my laptop set to UK time.

I hope you enjoyed your Monday. I am going to have a glass of whisky and look out at the Makati skyline outside my window.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Your game might improve when you're back home as the heat could have a lot to do with it.

If you lived there , how would you cope with the hot, hot summers.

Glad you've made a good friend in Arnel especially as he has travelled in Europe and understands business and other cultures.

I hope you enjoyed your whisky and the Makati skyline.

Take care

LOL
Anne xxxxxxx

gerry said...

Thanks Anne but it's not the heat, my knees are on their way out... don't forget I have been playing sports for nearly 40 years... the body can only hold up for a certain time.

I can cope with the summers no problem, just have to be near aircon when it's really hot, no different from the UK except that HOT here is much hotter than the UK.

Anonymous said...

Hi gerard,
Still reading your blogs, but I am not as quick as your sister (Anne),
who answers straight away, in time I may have manage it, but by then you will be home,(bad word).We had a beautiful day yesterday and thought here comes the summer, and today, pouring rain,not as cold as it has been though.but you better wrap up well when you come home after the heat you have been use to. It is now quarter past one, and ready for baw baws.I will say goodnight and wait for your next blog.Sister HELEN.lol.

gerry said...

thanks Helen, yes i will learn to put on lots of clothes if I can find any that fit !