Monday 19 November 2007

Weekend is over

The weekend is over and it was not too bad, I didn't feel so good on Saturday so I didn't go training, I mostly just stayed at home and rested.

Sunday was my trip to Corregidor which is in the post below.

On Saturday I did have to go out for some foodstuff. I popped into M&S, over here it's mostly just clothing but they did have a small area for imported goodies, mostly chocolates and biccies. I couldn't resist buying their milk chocolate digestives, they were a reasonable price at £1.30, I also bought a tin of their minced beef at £4.50 which was a bit on the expensive side but I did enjoy eating it, to finish it off I found some Heinz beans in the local supermarket... so a nice meal was had that night !!

It's now Monday and I have caught a bug that has been going around, a flu'ish type so I have stayed in bed most of the day, I just had to get up to go and get some medicine, that's one of the negatives of living alone... but I am used to it now.

People over here can't believe that I am on my own, they don't seem to understand the concept that some people choose to be single for large portions of their lives. They keep saying to me what will I do when I get old... who will look after me, I think that their culture... being so family related.... dictates that you should always have someone to look after in your old age. Of course this is a good thing, that's why there is little need for nursing homes here because your wife or your family will look after you until you die. People even look after aunts and uncles because it is so ingrained into their culture.... to look after your family at all times.
I think I like that attitude and I could really do with being a part of it so maybe in the future if I live here I would follow suit.

My Corregidor video is now live... so please view it if you have time, Paul (skeggie) there is a small part on it especially for you !!

I hope you all had a great weekend.... but now.... get back to work !!!! I am going back to sleep !

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Hope you're feeling better, take plenty of liquids and rest,rest & more rest. Great to hear you can get some foods from M & S a bit on the expensive side though.

Its a good idea for the young to look after the old, do you think Britain was like that about 50 years ago.

I wouldnt go on that trip to the island it sounds too dangerous, please dont go on your own, is there someone who can keep you company especially a filipino.

If you go I'll check my passport......

Take care,hope you feel better soon.

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, hope you are back in the pink after your little bout of the flu, (it is going around).. thats the thing about being so far away and on your own, you have to keep healthy, otherwise it's a big worry. I like the way the Philippinos look after their elderly, I know they are very family oriented, and very Catholic do they have large families still, or is that changing like the rest of the world.. I did enjoy your video of Corregidor Island, your fairly getting around...Oh well enjoy it all while you can. stay healthy..your wee sister Mary.

gerry said...

Hi Anne, yes I am getting better it's just a flu bug... just takes time doing what I love.... resting !! I think Britain may have been more like it 50 years ago but not to the extent here.... it's so ingrained here that it's almost morally mandatory.
I will be going to Mindaneo on my own, 2 reasons.... I prefer travelling alone and anyway my friends have to work and why would they want to go where I want to visit. Don't worry there won't be a problem unless I get kidnapped.... so if you get a ransom note just say... never heard of him !!

Hi Mary, I also like the way they look after their family too, there are some big families especially amongst the poor but I think overall it's going the same way as the rest of the world. Glad to hear that you enjoyed my video... so someone is viewing them !!