Thursday 8 November 2007

Thursday

One of the best things about here that I see, I have mentioned it before, is the driving. Yes they drive all over the place, lines don't exist, lights are just treated as a suggestion. Turning into any main road is simply.... just go, the bigger your vehicle the better or if you are a taxi that's good too as most people keep out of your way. Now there is a lot of honking your horn but not in an aggressive manner, I have never been in a vehicle when any driver has even been put out by being cut up or squeezed to a stop. They really all take it in their stride as if it is of no consequence, no swearing, no 1 finger salute, no "I'll get him back" attitude. Everyone is so relaxed that it is quite incredible but refreshing.

So why the difference ? I have no real answers except that maybe the British/US lifestyle has something to do with it. Now I don't drive here... yet, but I do find myself getting frustrated (just like UK drivers) when I'm walking in Makati or the malls, people just amble along as though they don't have a care in the world when I'm trying to get somewhere, I find myself saying inwardly get a move on or get out of my way, when they don't I can feel my frustration rising. This is the feelings that I think UK drivers have.... get out of my way as I'm in a hurry and YOU are stopping me from getting there. I think we have a lot to learn from this attitude because it's better for everyone, drivers/walkers just amble along with no stress, those behind are the same, the attitude seems to be that we'll get there when we get there !!

I hope that I can take some of that attitude home with me.

Hope your day is stress free

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Just read your blog today we are at friends house in Cyprus. Will speak to you as soon as I get back on saturday. Having a wonderful time the weather is excellent, the company great and I am glad that you are still enjhoying yourself. have you received my package yet?
Take care speak to you soon

LOl Anne xxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, I would find it difficult driving over there (too busy for me) they seem to be very laid back. maybe the heat has something to do with it, they walk slow because the heat drains them, and they drive slow because its too conjested, so they are used to that. just wondering what side of the road do they drive. left or right. will you hire a car at some point and do the touristy stuff. bye for now Gerard take care. Mary.

gerry said...

Hi Anne, I was surprised to see your name today, glad to hear that you are having a good time, how's the weather. Sorry I haven't received your package, I mentioned this on Tuesday's post, I did receive another package which was sent over 3 weeks ago so there is still hope.

Hi Mary, They drive on the right here the same as you, the wrong side of course !! Yes I do want to hire a car at sometime but if I do I should do it within the next 4 weeks, after being here for 90 days then I have to go through their driving test. Up to 90 days you can drive on your own license.