Sunday 4 November 2007

semis over

We done quite well today, we had 5 from the 10 go through to the finals next weekend, it could have even been better as 2 of the pairs were drawn against each other therefore only 1 pair could go through. Also the strongest girl was taking heavy medication and lost in 3 when she was expected to win a gold but that's life.

I of our youngest girls got put out by a girl nearly double her size, this girl is as tall as her parents as supposed to be only 8 !! It is always possible that sometimes children can grow out of sync with their peers but this does look dodgy, it has happened many times here that parents lie about their children's age to play them in an age group below their real age to obtain some glory. Records in the provinces aren't as stringently kept like we are used to. A request to see the copy of her birth certificate has been lodged although these are commonly faked as well.... yes I'm afraid the Phils is a very corrupt society.

Even in senior tourneys that are graded, there are what is called "leveling" meaning that someone watches you play and then grades you accordingly. Some players will intentionally play badly hoping to get put into a lower grade or they will get friends involved to get them catorigised as a lower grade. You can clearly see it when you watch or play in some of these tourneys, some matches are so one sided because of the huge gulf in standard.. some people will do anything for a trophy.... how they get away with it is beyond me as is stands out like a sore thumb.

Tomorrow is my visa day, I have to devote my day to simply obtain my next 59 day visa. I'm hoping to find a travel agent that will do it for me... for a price of course, failing that I will have to visit the Bureau of Immigration myself, this could involve me being there for a whole day waiting for it, maybe even having to return the next day also. Lets hope it works out for me.

Yes the sun shone again today... surprise surprise.. though it wasn't too hot.

Hope you have a nice day wherever you are... I'm probably talking to you alone Mary as you are probably the only visitor thatI have today :-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gerard. just read your blog. Will you be involved in games all the time you are there? I am very surprised at the corruption there I had the impression the phils were very moral people you live and learn . what do you mean "Mary will be the only visitor you have today"have you not been receiving my replies I go into your blogs every day. Our weather has been lovely for this time of the year,the fireworks are going off non stop tomorrow is guy fawkes day as you know . I sincerely hope you dont have to wait all day for your visa will hear how you get on in your next blog . cheerio Patsy.......

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry, I am glad you are keeping busy and enjoying yourself. How is the coaching going? We are all missing you and looking forward to seeing you again in the Summer. Amin went to Thailand for a job interview. He thought he had the job and now the company have changed their minds. Oh well such is life!
I am still very busy at school. Came as quite a shock as I did even less than you at St Andrews! (only joking) Parents evenings, staff meetings, planning meetings, netball club. I think I might as well live in the school. I have got a car and am braving the streets, parking is no problem at school, just as well as I do not have the Macguire Valet Parking Service!
Lots of Love to you
Ruth, Amin and kids

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard havent been on your blog for a few days but have caught up with the goings on today. I have put you on favourites at work so I sometimes tell the office the items about the areas and the people. Went out Friday for Jacs birthday but have been doing boring housework today. See you soon Love Jan

Anonymous said...

oh cut to the quick eh mate.
I read your posts everyday as so many people ask me at school whats happening. I do tell them your website so they can read and/or reply but i suppose its easier to ask me or someone else.
Had the official opening of the FSU on Friday with the Mayor doing her business and other "dignitaries" but didnt know who any of them were.
I mised the ribbon cutting tho' as I was cleaning as Pat is off at mo after having a boob operation (not for cosmetic reasons). Hope she's going to be ok, I'm sure she will be.
Margaret has had a cataract operation and was missing for a couple of days and she's going to have the other eye done soon.
Everything else seems ok at the present.
It seems that the badminton tourneys are going well and the "cheating" does go on over here(probably everywhere actually).Ben has played in many games where it looks like several of their players are already shaving and thats been happening since under 11's. PW will probably tell you the same.
But I'm sure that some of your kids will be champions next week and a lot of that will be down to you so make sure you take your part of the glory. At least get a KITKAT CHUNKY out of it.
Anyway take care, be safe and enjoty all that lovely sunshine. Bet you dont look so pasty now eh and have a great tan.

See you and read you soon.

Paul Clargo

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, I start my new assignment today, (Anne's instructions as she's off for a week--- I have to check your blog each day, (as if I dont) if you miss a day, that means there could be something wrong, so I should be prepared to catch a plane to the Phillippenes, my new passport arrives on Wednesday so I am okay.. (got to keep in with my new boss (Anne)----thats great you are in the finals next week, I do hope they win a few golds, hope you get your visa okay... talk to you tomorrow Gerard, keep safe take good care of yourself... Mary

gerry said...

Hi Patsy, These 2 tourneys are the last this year... which is good. Lots of corruption I'm afraid, when you only earn £2 per day for 12 hours and you can earn 5 times that for 1 minute of bribery, it's easy to understand although disagree with. Yes I have been receiving all your messages and I hope you have seen my replies. I was just joking about having no visitors. I'm glad that I'm missing Guy Fawkes as I never did like it anyway. Read my post about obtaining my visa.

Hi Ruth, I'm very busy, no time for any sort of work, the coaching is good. Was Amin going to work in Thailand or was that just for the interview only... sorry it didn't work out. You were always a busy bee at St. Andys. Glad to see that you are driving, I wish it was feasible here. Yes you will miss my services.
Please keep in touch as I do miss you all, I would love to have dinner with you all again as we used to... I'll bring the wine as usual and I will drink it all as usual too !! Give my love to Amin, Annabel, Edward and Alice

Hi Jan, Missed my blod for a few days... How dare you... 100 lines for you girl... I must visit Gerard's blog every day !!! ;-)
Hope Jac's birthday went well and if you get fed up with the housework there, you can always visit me here and do mine !!!

Hi Paul, Thanks for the update, I like the bit about shaving... I know what you mean but at least over there you can ask to see a valid birth certificate, over here it's a different matter completely.
I'd better keep away from those kit kat chunkys... as i don't want to get any chunkier myself. I'm still as white as a milk bottle as I try and avoid the sun except on my long walks. PLease give my regards to all.

Hi Mary, don't bother about visiting every day and posting, even if I miss a post it may be just because I'm busy doing something else, like going away for a day or two.