Thursday 29 November 2007

Never a dull moment

this is my 2nd post today so don't forget to read the other post below too.

There I was walking over the bridge to Glorietta, there was lots of sirens from vehicles driving to the bridge area, so being nosey I stopped to see what was going on. The police were there with the swat squads from many areas of the phils, plus the National police, there was also army vehicles arriving and helicopters above, I gleaned from people there that there is a political parade with 2 politicians that want the President out, I had read about them over the past few days. Anyway watched for 5 mins then went on my way, I went to SM mall to buy some trousers, when finished I thought rather than walk back through the shops that I would walk in the street past the parade, I did but within a couple of hundred yards people were running towards me so I knew that something was happening, someone said that there was gunfire... ...so being nosey as I am I walked through them in the direction that they were running from, I was near Makati ave when I heard the first burst of gunfire ( I'm getting used to the sound) I then turned left rather than right as the national police and army were getting their weapons out to return the fire, as I turned left there was lots of gunshots so more people were now running in the same direction as I was walking. A big white guy was running and he slowed down as he reached me, he asked me what is happening and what should he do, he was visibly very scared ( I just get excited by it all, wrong I know) anyway I told him to follow me and not to worry, we took cover at the side of a building. To cut a long story short, his name is Peter and he is from Norway, he was terrified, he was staying at the Peninsula hotel where the shooting was happening. All his money, credit cards etc were in his room and he didn't know what to do.

Anyway I calmed him down, he wanted to go to another part of manila to his credit card office to get a new card to use, I gave him 1000 pesos for the cab fare and so he could phone his wife. He may be a scammer and I've lost 1000p but somehow I don't think so. He was so shaken and vowed never to visit the Phils again, he said that this kind act of mine to help him was the nicest thing he has experienced in his life ( maybe he should get out more !!) and he hugged me twice.... hold on there fella !!.... not to worry he did say he was married. anyway he has taken my address and phone number and has sworn to return it to me, I said it simply doesn't matter but he can ring me later if he needs any more help. He asked if all Scots are like me and if they are what a better world this would be........ shucks !!!!! I walked him to a cab area and told him what to do.... its raining and there is gunfire, cab drivers are going to take advantage of this so I told him to agree to a certain amount just to get himself out of the area.

I'm obviously at home now watching the news on TV but it is in Tagalog so am trying to get the gist of it all, from what I can gather the 2 politicians that I mentioned previously were starting their rally from inside the Peninsular hotel when tear gas exploded in the room and there was gunfire, presumably supporters of the President trying to assassinate these 2 politicians. The gunfire continued outside the building which was probably what I heard. I would guess that it was probably a section of the army or national police that were the assassins.

I'm watching live TV now and its showing an army armoured vehicle driving right into the hotel with about 50 soldiers and lots of gunfire.

I got to go back to that area to pick up some trousers that were being altered so i may get more info and some photos.

Report back later. It's 5pm here ( 9am UK)

It's now 9.30pm and I now know what happened. The 2 politicians were in the hotel and it was 30 of their supporters.... all renegade soldiers...... that were there trying to get backing from the army to overthrow the president.... it didn't work out and they barricaded themselves in a room, the army went in to get them and that was the gunfire that was heard.
I went back to the area at 5pm to get some video of it all but I think it was over by then so I only got shots of the soldiers there, 1500 of them !!!!

The whole of Makati was evacuated, all the malls were empty as was all shops, bars and restaurants. And I still haven't heard from Peter the Norwegian !!!... surely he wasn't a scammer... if he was, he got me hook, line and sinker !!!!

5 comments:

gerry said...

I received my first Xmas card form Helen, can you say thanks to her Anne when you speak to her.

Anonymous said...

hi gerry, finally got on to your site very impressive, all i can say is why would you want to come back! you look as if your having a ball. Can't wait to see what happens tomorrow. David say's hi and yes we are still very much in love. Take care Lisa XX

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, another scare!!! that's like the Wild West! you don't have to go to the movies you just have to walk down the street and you could make your own movie with all the stuff that's happening around you... I hate to ask but have you heard from Peter the Norwegian, (I will give him the benefit of the doubt} hopefully you will get it back, if not thats a lesson to be learned, how much is 1000 pesos? are you still coaching badminton or is it finished for the time being.? TTFN - means ta-ta-fur-noo Mary.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,(the Good samaritan)

Phoned Helen tonight to let her know you've received her Xmas card, have you received her birthday card as well.

Heard on TV this morning about the problems in Manila, took note in case I saw you in the middle of it, knowing how nosey you are it wouldnt have surprised me. Do you not get frightened, do you only get excited.

Hope big Peter returns your money to you, I think he would have appreciated it.

Take care and stop going to all these dangerous places.

Lol

Anne xxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Lisa, really nice to hear from you !!! I don't want to return but alas I have to, hopefully if things work out then I may not be in the UK for too long....we shall see !!
You and David are like blooming Romeo and Juliet.... excuse me while I throw up :-) Have you left St.Andys ?

Hi Mary, Yes there is a lot of things that happen here in Makati but it keeps things interesting !! I haven't heard from Peter the Norwegian yet !! I'm not bothered about the money, it's about 22 USD. I am still coaching and will be there tomorrow, there is no more tourneys until next year so it is a bit quieter.

Hi Anne, I think I did get her birthday card so tell her yes. I am mainly just interested when I see or hear gunfire, at the same time I am aware it could be dangerous so I don't take unnecessary risks although others may think that I do, it's all a matter of personal perception. I'm not fearless, I don't want to get shot but it's a case of percentages. When there is gunfire what is the percentage chance of ME being hit amongst 100's of people, I think of that and the percentage chance is probably low.
I don't go to dangerous places this is where I live and walk.