Wednesday 21 November 2007

Internet

It's now 8am Wednesday and the Internet has just returned.... for how long I don't know so I will post this while I can.
It has been down 3 or 4 days this week, sometimes during those days you can get online for an hour or two if you are lucky.
I go a bit fed up with it last night, I phoned Globe and gave the guy that answered a hard time, he said the same thing as always.... it must be from a script.... "sorry sir I will find out why and make sure that you are online in the next 24 hours", if you are not and you phone back again, you will simply get the same reply, by the law of averages one of the times that they say it will be correct !!
After telling him how inefficient his company and this country was... bty he hung I think, although he would say that the line dropped.... I don't blame him because I just got so fed up and he was at the receiving end...................... I realised that although I felt better for my rant it really was just a waste of my phone call, I may as well have just shouted at the mirror. I should know better by now, if I ever live here I will have learn even moreso than now to let it be... I will get online whenever I can get online.... just maybe not when I want to.

One thing that they are not short of here is bodies.... all these service staff are employed on 6 month contracts, that's so that the employees don't have to pay them any benefits, so it is hardly surprising that for a lot of them.. not all... it is just get a matter of getting through the day as best as you can. Call centres I believe are reasonably well paid, I guess though that the abuse that they must get warrants that.

So anyway Tuesday was spent mostly at home as I still have a fever, not being online didn't help either.
I am planning my next trip which is to Mindanao, everyone says not to go there as it is dangerous, I think it is wrong to call a whole island dangerous just because some parts of it has had some kidnappings etc. Yes it is a Muslim stronghold and they want Mindanao to be separate from the Philippines, and yes the terrorists do have a hold in parts of the island and yes they have done some bombings and kidnapped and killed some westerners. But it is not an every day occurrence, if you keep your head down and be careful you will definitely be OK, there are some parts of it that I won't be visiting as I do realise the need to be careful.
It's like saying during the 70's don't visit Ireland as it is dangerous..... it was only really a very small part of Ireland and even then if you visited Belfast at the height of the troubles you would probably have been OK... especially with a Scottish accent. ;-)

I'm not sure when I can go as the busy Xmas season has begun and hotels will be getting fully booked so I may have to leave it til the new year. I would like to have to have gone this weekend but I have a routine hospital test on Tuesday so will have to leave it til later.

For those of you that watched my Corregidor video, the part showing my feet wasn't an error, it was to show how narrow the walkway was, I couldn't get past someone that had stopped for a chat so I had to go back the other way.

My number here is 0919 490 2955, if anyone wants to text me the number will be 0063 919490 2955... I will reply !! I know the charge here is 15p to send abroad and it's about 40p from the UK.

It's cloudy here in Manila but is still warm, I wonder how the weather in the UK is today, I spoke to Maurice the other night and it wasn't too good then.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.... enjoy it as best as you can

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,
Thank goodness you're back on line I was beginning to get very worried, didnt know if you were sick or off line, never mind, all is well again.

I dont fancy you going to Mindanao, it sounds very dangerous, it wouldnt be just as bad if you had some company, but because you are on your own its very scarey.

Hope you are feeling better soon and out enjoying the sun.

Take care from sunny (not)Cheshire

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, there is no need ever to be worried but don't forget you can text me at anytime.
Mindanao isn't as bad as they say.
I'm feeking not too bad, it's cloudy here too.