Sunday 11 November 2007

It's 11am Sunday

The Internet was down yesterday in Manila and surrounding areas so I couldn't post.... put your passport back Mary as I'm ok :-) !!!

Yesterday (Saturday) I went to see 2 adults that I've been coaching play in a tourney, they won their first 2 matches but were knocked out in their 3rd match. They were playing in a 14 court hall here in Makati about 30 mins walk from my home, I got a taxi, the driver couldn't even find the address, we drove around in circles for 45 mins, even though I phoned my friends and they gave him directions, we stopped and asked police, traffic wardens they did the same but he still couldn't find it !! I eventually just stopped and told him to forget it, a 50 pesos fare cost me 150 and I wasn't even there yet. Got another cab and he took me directly there. Do cabbies go through a test here like in London... I don't think so..... just rent a car and start operating as a taxi.

I then had to get another cab to Las Pinas ( I wish I could avoid cabs) at 2pm, most drivers can't find the address that I go to but I can forgive them as Las Pinas is outside of Manila, usually my friend has to give them directions on the phone... actually not usually but always !!

I would like to hire a car but they are so expensive, there is no parking here in Makati just like London and I would have to through the Philippines driving test after I have stayed here for 3 months, lastly I wouldn't know how to get around as the street signs aren't user friendly and there is no satnav here in Manila. I even thought of buying a bike but a lot of the negatives above still apply plus of course many bikers are injured/killed here in road accidents. If I was involved in an accident then it would be my fault and I would have to pay... why.... because I am a Caucasian... or I could maybe get away from paying for the accident if I bribed the investigating police officer.... whatever way..... the Caucasian pays..... you're white so you are rich and can afford it.

Anyway I coached in Las Pinas til 8.30 played a couple of games, changed shirts 3 times because of the heat, showered then had to get another cab home !! I used 4 cabs that day costing me 600 pesos, it was only that low as 2 friends drove me most of the way there and back.
Then I got home and no Internet... thanks !! watched telly and fell asleep after answering over 20 texts... they love texting here !!!! BIG time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, I cant beleive you got all 5 of my emails..Oh well better too many than none at all. I kept checking your blog today and I was getting worried as you had'nt posted anything for Saturday..my bags were packed and I was ready to go..then a big sigh of relief (Anne's back) she can go to the Phils.. were having Martha and the boys over for dinner tomorrow (Dave's birthday) there will be eleven of us..should be good.. take care, stay safe, Mary

gerry said...

Hi Mary, Yes I got all 5. I thought that I was suddenly popular !!!
Maybe you can let Martha see my blog, I would imagine that she's not the computer type.
Give my regards to David, you should have a great time..... enjoy !!!