Friday 2 November 2007

Friday 7pm..... UK 11am

Well we had a good day today as we have 8 players through to the semis in different age groups, hopefully 4 will go through to the finals and then... well we hope for 1 or 2 gold medals.

I wanted to post another letter today, in this country there are no postboxes I have to make a 20min walk to the main post office to post anything, so count yourself lucky in the UK, US and Canada. It's things like that we take for granted, I haven't even received 2 packages that were sent to me, 1 over 3 weeks ago. If the postal sevice think that there is anything of value inside then it probably won't reach me. Corruption is big here in many ways, alledgely as far up as the president, most deposed presidents have been found to have large amounts of cash stashed away.
If police stop you to give you a ticket then the fine will be something like 500 pesos (£5) but if you give him 200/300 pesos then you can go on your way. Police don't get a decent salary so this is one way to supplement it and they do, anyone that is power of any kind seems to use it mainly as a way of making money. I am sure that there are some good too though.

On Monday I have to go to the Bureau of immigration to get my visa extended for another 59 days, costs about £40 and a long wait in their offices, I am not looking forward to that as it could be a whole day wasted.

Hope you all have a great weekend wherever you are in this beautiful world.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, thats great your players are getting to the finals, it makes it all worthwhile, a few golds will be nice.. you have volunteered a lot of your time but you do enjoy it all, I guess thats part of your social scene now. have a good weekend, take care, Mary.

gerry said...

Hi Mary they haven't got to the finals yet but I do hope so. Yes you're right it is a big part of my life over here as I wanted it to be.
You have a good weekend too.