Wednesday 9 January 2008

Wednesday 9th

Well I'm having problems with my blog, I can post but I can't actually see my blog so I don't know if the post is being published or not.

Today I went to Vung Tao by boat, I just wanted to get out of Saigon for a bit of peace and quiet. I know that the boats here in Asia are not the best but the one that I travelled to there today was scary, it was listing side to side and hitting waves at all angles, passengers were joking about it all but you could see lots of people were nervous, sometimes the joking is just to cover up the fear. The boat was probably built before the war... I meaan WW2 not the Vietnam one !! With all this crashing around bits started to move and fall off inside, when that happens then you start to really look closely and I didn't like what I saw, you could see that there was poor maintenance, the lifejackets were in a cupboard, I only knew that as I was looking for them just in case, that's when I saw a cupboard marked "lifejackets". Luckily I was in the seat nearest the exit and I was seriously getting prepared just in case. As you can imagine I used another company on the return journey which was a lot better.

There should be a video below this writing but as I said I can't see the blog, can someone email me on gm@gerry7.co.uk to let me know what is or isn't here.

Thanks

Gerry in Saigon





4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry
Happy New Year from Paul C at St. A's.
I am very sorry(yet again) that I haven't spoken or replied to you since we spoke before Xmas but you know how it is.
Just seen your video of Saigon and I can't believe how many bikes there are on it. Are you sure it wasn't a hell's angels convention.
Surprising to see that virtually all of them had crash hats on.
What happens if someone falls off? Are they squashed beyond recognition and someone picks up the pieces later on or does everything come to a halt. Will be a bit like a crash on the M25 eh!
People half a mile behind wondering whats happened and when they start moving again they pass nothing and wonder what all the fuss was about.
Life at St. A's is good. Xmas was really good. Sally (in her wisdom) decided to cook Xmas dinner for everybody at school-over 200 in total- so that might be the reason you didnt get yours this year.
IT WAS IN THE KIDS!!!!!
Hot water has now arrived at school but a by product is that the girls toilet now has warm water in the cisterns. Sounds like a 5 star hotel (is that better than AN AN?)
Still waiting for the plumber to call and arrange a visit to make it all better. If he dont call tomorrow I'm phoning Ian Garraway and will charge Apollo for his services. You are so right in that they are so b++++y useless(will admit that John has been really good and its not his fault)
If you havent heard from Jamie I'll let you know that he has finally passed his test and thinks that he might want to buy your car.
Not bad for a first car he said.
Got to go now and I will definitely phone you soon (when you get back to Manila).
Happy New Year Gerry. Take care and be careful crossing the road.
Oh Yeah. I think that corner that one of your sisters was referring to was probably HENLYS CORNER up near Hendon as she was talking about a synagogue and it is a very big roundabout type intersection. There is actually no roundabout as you probably know but it looks like there is or should be.

Speak to you soon Gerry.

Paul Clargo

gerry said...

Hi Paul,
Thanks for the update. Yes most wear crach helmets but not all.
If someone falls off they all simply stop in unison (not the union !!)

Give my congrats to Jamie and yes he can buy my car but probably too powerful for a first car and I don't think he could afford it as he is only a teacher !!
Yes you are probably right about Henleys corner.

Happy new year to you and your family and wish the staff the same if they remember who I am !!!

Anonymous said...

Hello Gerard I felt sea sick reading your version of the crazy boat you were on I bet you thought your number was up.[got your email] also recieved your calender the first scene was stunning as to visiting I would prefer"february,s Daraga church I adore churches& museums and that looked really interesting ..." the famous white sand beach in Boracay island " was exceptionly beautiful ..thanks a lot for sending it,I can but dream . At least you can always say you have tried every mode of transport there is.Keep on dry land for awhile if not I hope you are a good swimmer.love ...Patsy.......

gerry said...

Hi Patsy, yes there are some nice places in the Phils. Boracay is a romantice sort of place to visit so as I'm single I won't be visiting there for a while !!