Saturday 19 January 2008

Ozamiz city, Mindanao Sat 19th Jan

Hi All. sorry but it is very difficult to get online in this "city", there is only 1 internet cafe with 6 computers about 15 years old and there is always a queue to use them. I got here 1st thing this morning to get online, the keyboard is so old that they have little cut out letters stuck to the keys so you can see the letters. They are also so slow, there is obviously a market for another internet cafe here but at 15p per hour there's not much profit.

Well I arrived here ok, very strange landing of the plane, just a runway cut out of the land, as we were taxing to the "terminal" there were little old ladies opening their doors to look at us.... yes their homes backed onto the runway !! The 'terminal" was so small and it only took about 20 steps before you were in the car park !!

The hotel is very rundown, even though I have a "suite" it would still find it difficult to get a rating of 1 star, musty damp smell all the time which is weird in this heat. It will do.

Yesterday I visited the family that i am helping, I had the roof repaired to stop the rain coming in and will be helping them with other things too. I took some video and photos and will post them when I can.

I forgot to bring the power lead for my laptop so will be difficult to do much until I buy another or get back to Manila.

I will end here as using this keyboard and computer is tortuous. at least you know that I am still alive, I have a lot more to say about Ozamiz but will do it when I get a modern computer to use.

Hope you enjoy yet another weekend !!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Are they that backward. I thought they would be up to date with computers and cafes. Have been on google to see where in the Phillipines you are. Are you visiting Davao, Cagayan de oro or Zamboanga.

Your hotel doesnt sound great a bit of a let down after Manila, never mind its only for a week.

Is the family you are helping the same one as the priest?

I didnt think you would have forgotten the cable for your laptop, toothpaste, underwear yes but not the cable.

Take care, watch your back

LOL

Anne xxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, this is a VERY poor part of the world.
I wanted to do Ozamiz then south to Daveo then north to Cagayan de oro.
No its not the same family.
Yes I know , I can't believe I forgot as I have so many checks before I ever leave my condo so that doesn't happen.... but I'm only human.

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, good to hear from you, and you are still safe and sound..thats good news....do you sponsor a family in Ozamiz city? you do a lot of good work, you will be rewarded in heaven...so you forgot your power lead for your laptop, that was good, dont you have a list and just tick everything off as you pack, with you traveling so much I thought you would have it down-pat, listen to me talk, I packed on Boxing day to come to Florida for three months and I forgot the half of it...(to err is human) so we are human.........well Gerard, hope you get to see all the places you planned on visiting and enjoy them all, you only live once, and your living it to the full. so just Enjoy! take care and look after yourself, wherever you are, will hear how you are doing, when you get the chance to blog. lots of love Mary....

gerry said...

Hi Mary, yes I help a family in Ozamiz, about the heaven bit.. not sure as I also do a lot of negative stuff to cancel out the good !!
I am very thorough when packing but usually it doesn't matter because whatever I do forget I just buy !
Will write more later. Hope you are still enjoying the sunshine