Tuesday 22 January 2008

Please.... do you have a cable for my......

I have been to EVERY computer store and expert in this city looking for a cable for my laptop.... no way.... I even found a Dell dealer and they couldn't get a replacement of any kind for 30 days... so that's it, no more looking... it's cafes until I get back to Manila !!
I even looked at buying a 2nd hand laptop but even then it wasn't wi fi enabled... so no luck there either.

I was having a coffee and loading my phone (loading = credit) when an American came over to talk to me with his Filipina girlfriend, he has lived here for 13 years so was a mine of information. He told me where to find the tourist office here to get a map, as it was on his way we walked together, his GF walked 5 yards in front... anyway it was a long way and it was VERY hot, we reached where he was meeting friends and we had another coffee while he gave me more info, the girl never spoke unless she was spoken to either by him or me !! She was very nice, apparantly her mother gave her up when she was 8 weeks old then her relatives started to beat her til she was old enough to leave and I believe this is where he stepped in.

A woman that cooks well, sews and makes clothes, never complains, walks ahead of you so you can talk to your friends, gets your coffee for you and doesn't speak unless she is spoken to.... and takes care of all your needs....is this the perfect woman !! In mens jokes yes she probably is.... but in reality it doesn't feel quite right if you know what I mean.......I've used that hated expression again.. ya no wot ah mean !!

Cagayan is so much cheaper than Manila, I bought 5 polo shirts for 47p each... you can almost afford to wear them once and throw them away...just amazing !!
Apparently I could live well here on 300 pounds per month.

I have booked one more night here in Cagayan so that I can have a better look around, I will have to get a bus to Davao which is quite a long trip, I will have a little bitty concern on this trip, I know an american guy that is well known in Mindanao for his blogging and magazine websites and he tells of roadblocks being set up on the roads by the bad guys, he said that he just drives through slowly and waves (but never stops) and has been ok, me being on a bus will be different, I think I probably have more chance of winning the lottery than being stopped by the baddies.....but..... 10 Philippine marines were captured on this island only last year and were all beheaded .......visibly gulps slowly !!
So Anne... the new car, kitchen and bathroom could be a possibility after all !! Sorry but I doubt it very much if you will get them... well I hope not anyway.......... now where did I put those anti-diarrhoea tablets ?
I best to take extra underwear for this trip.....;-)

Hope you are all having a good week

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Evening Gerry
Thought it was about time to write again with news from St Andys! The sun was out here today but chilly. So nice,though, not to have any rain. Everything at school is 'happening' - just the usual stuff, breakfast clubs starting - Kay and Sue still won't cook bacon for us! Suzanne has finally had her baby today - almost a fortnight late. A boy who weighed 9lbs 6 ozs - a whopper! Had a bit of a problem with a leaky roof in year 1, and what about your team - QPR. Reckon they're now richer than Chelsea and signing lots of players - still go down though!
Keep looking for that laptop cable - we could do with some of those here as well. Enjoy Cagyan, but don't lose your head!
All the best, Paul W

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,
Sorry you didn't manage to get a cable for your laptop, still never mind your managing quite well.

How fortunate you met an American, he must have given you lots of info as he has been there for 13 years. I didn't realize the filipino females were so accommodating, is that why you like them.

I found out lots about Cagayan see the following:
Cagayan de Oro is the base to both local and multi-national companies such as Del Monte Philippines, Nestle, Coca-Cola, Pepsi Cola, and others. The city's economy is largely based on industry, trade, service and tourism. Link2Support and Arriba are among the few call centers that have recently opened their doors to the city. Cagayan de Oro is a young city compared to other highly urbanized cities in the Philippines. The city's annual income has reached a local record of 1.345 Billion Pesos as of the fiscal year, 2006. With the ongoing construction of the Laguindingan International Airport, business analysts predict the entry of more foreign and local investments and an increase in tourism activity in the region will make Cagayan de Oro as one of the chief cities in the southern part of the Philippines, thats enough about Cagayan.

I also read about a an American man called Bob Martin they call him Mindanao Bob. He has a website and he has been in the Philippines since 1990, have a look at his site. Davao is a long way down its South East it will be quite a journey. Please take care as the further south you go seem to add to the problems

Take Care God Bless
LOL
Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Paul W, Nice to hear from you !!
Give my regards to Suzanne and Aiden.. wow that is a big one !! OUCH !! Who would want to be a woman !
You tell Kay and Sue that over here woman just do as they are told so get that bacon on when I get back !!
I like my head so I will hold onto it if possible !

Hi Anne, The girl mentioned was an extreme case, the only Filipina that I've been involved with was the opposite of that... stubborn as me and independant.. maybe the former being more easy going would be more suitable !! I haven't met anyone yet in over 4 months so unlikely !!
I've been reading Bob Martins blogs every day for over a year.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.