Tuesday 29 January 2008

Davao....my last day

Well today is my last day in Davao. I fly home in the morning (Wednesday).

I went to the Bureau of Immigration here in Davao, it was so much better than Manila, on the entrance door it said... beware of fixers... don't pay them....it's that mayor again !!
I was directed to the counter, filled in the forms, paid my money then waited, the whole procedure was completed in less than 1 hour with no bribes.

The only thing is that I didn't get 2 months as I expected, the reason being that on my return from Vietnam I was given the automatic 21 day visa, I forgot that the procedure starts all over again and that 21 days counts against my expected 59 days visa.... therefore I was only awarded the extra 38 days which takes me upto March 12th. On or before that I date I have to renew for 1 more month and also get a Exit Clearance certificate, failure will mean that I will not be allowed to leave the Philippines...mmm... that sounds good but I don't think they will put me up in a nice condo in Makati !!

I had an enjoyable evening last night, I took the cashier of my hotel out for a meal with one of her friends, we went to this beautiful restaurant on the hills overlooking the whole of Davao, it's called Jacks ridge, the view of the lights of the city is really good and the food and company was even better.

As Filipinos LOVE karaoke (!!!!) we ended up going to this place where you have your own karaoke room so you can sing to your hearts content, they both thought that they could sing.. but the phrase...cat's choir comes to mind... I just had a beer and a snack, I put up with listening as best as I could before I brought the evening to a swift end at midnight.

We also visited the new " peoples park" which is really nice, the mayor "the assassin" has built this park for the people, really nice and is floodlit until it closes at 11 pm. It has waterfalls, bridges and nice walking places. So he is doing a good job, it's hard to say anything against him here as the people like him.

Whenever I travel in cabs here I always feel this firm cushion in between my shoulder blades, I just found out today what it really is...... it's the head rest !!... because they are smaller the position of the head rest is in my back !!

So I am having a restful day but going out somewhere later with my 2 friends.

My next post will be from my condo in Manila.

Enjoy your Tuesday

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Its 4.20pm on Tuesday. I have been on to dell because my computer wouldnt turn on this morning. I was through to India and I think I could have had my comp. working in half the time if she was British as I had to repeat absolutely everything to her and vice versa. However I have it working now, its like your hand has been cut off when it doesnt work.

Glad you will soon be back in Manila and will be returning to London on April 9th, I will be able to sleep at night.

You still havent told me who the 2 friends are and how you know them, are they male or female.
You seem to have enjoyed your stay in Davao and thats good that you renewed your visa.

Take care have a good flight back to Manila

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, it's me (your long long sister) I couldn't answer your blog as my laptop went down, it had to be re-booted (didn't know how to do that) still dont.. so I am in the library using theirs and I only have a few minutes left... Glad to hear you survived that trip HOORAY! now we can all sleep at night. hope your next one is'nt so dangerous.. so you enjoyed your last night out in Davao, (two dates) one not enough... glad to hear your still having a good time, this trip must have cost you a fortune the way you are on and off planes and hotels, are you our rich brother!!!! thats been the best kept secret. I didn't know that or I would have made sure I answered every one of your blogs......no seriously Gerard, I'm glad you did this trip when you did, it was the right time for you, now you've been there done that.. well Gerard I only have one minute left so I am typing 100 words a minute here, but just wanted to let you know I did miss not getting your blogs each day.. take care talk soon, your long lost sister Maaaaary the end before i get cut off

Anonymous said...

Just thought I would drop you a line so as you know I have been reading your blog, as Mary is off sick at the moment only joking her computer is sick I believe. It will take some ajusting when you do come back to London although as Anne said the weather last weekend was lovely. The Mayor you talk about seems to be getting the respect he deserves I think. We are far to manby panby in this Country I think we could do with her over here. Love JAN skegness

gerry said...

Hi Anne, Yes I really do miss my laptop when the net is down. They should use the Philippines for call centres as their English is so much better and so clearly spoken.
There is probably more danger at home than here !!!
I did say in my post... 1/10 for paying attention. I said the cashier at my hotel....they are both female of course.

Hi Mary, thanks for taking the time to visit your library and posting.
Rebooting is just restarting your computer, I guess you mean re-formatting which is wiping it clean and re installing your programmes. And of course I'm rich... well everyone here seems to think so !!

Hi Jan, you are right we are far too mamby pamby there, when people get stop by the police or even the traffic people here, there is no abuse to the officer which you get in the uk... but then again it's probably not advisable because you are likely to get a bullet in your head... not a.... "please sir don't swear at me or put your hands on me" which is a restriction that our police to have to live with.