Sunday 6 January 2008

Sunday 11pm

I have had huge problems getting online tonight so hopefully I can post this on the site before I lose my connection.

I did go to the Cu Chi tunnels, it was very interesting to see how the vietcong lived during the bombings, they were quite clever in the way that they fought the war, quite vicious too, I've seen some of the ways that they ambushed the American G.I's with some deadly traps.

The big problem for me here is that there are too many tourists, I really don't like to see so many white foreigners around, I sometimes feel like I'm in Uxbridge. Saigon is a real backpackers spot, so many budget hotels like the one that I'm staying in at the moment, so much aimed at this tourist market, and although I enjoyed the tunnels today, I didn't like touristy part about it. All these coaches probably 20+ all waiting in the main street to pick up the tourists from their hotels, all leave around 8am with their guides to visit somewhere outside Saigon.

You get on the bus and as always they stop at some boring (IMO) art/craft factory for us to look around and buy something, I didn't bother as I have seen so many of them around the world, it's just a time filler and they probably get a kickback for bringing so many tourists. Then it's onto the tunnels... when we arrived there was at least another 10/15 busses of tourists already there, so it's 1 group goes this way and another that way, you stop here and look at this then onto the next thing.... just too commercial/touristy for me........... yes I probably am just a fussy so and so !!!
I went down 1 level of the tunnel and crawled half way through another, in the distance I could see a girl sliding down to a 2nd level and thought to myself.... no way... so I turned back.... yes I am a big girl's blouse !!!!

I did enjoy shooting a real machine gun and also a MK15 rifle, you have to pay for this as an extra, it's real bullets you fire at targets. You actually buy the bullets ( yes real live bullets) at the shop then you go to the shooting area and give the bullets to a guy in army uniform, he loads and you fire, no training... just do it, I think I missed everyhting with the machine gun but I did hit the target with most of the 10 bullets I shot with MK15 rifle. It cost 200,000 dong for each shoot...that is about £6.50..... the money here is a joke, everything costs 1000's but a pound is worth 30,000 dong !! So you carry all these notes around with you, 100,000, 50,000, 20,10 and 5. Why they just don't knock off 3 0's is beyond me.

I will post this now hopefully, hope you all had a great weekend

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i Gerard,

Glad you arrived safely after a delayed flight and not because of you.

The Cu Chi tunnels sound interesting but I don't suffer from claustrophobia but that would have made me go back after the first level.

I didnt realize there would be so many tourists how big is Saigon. How long are you staying there? I think you will appreciate going back to Manilla.

I think the moral of your blog is dont give gerard a machine gun just give him a MK15 rifle and he'll shoot everything in site.

Well Gerard, we are just back from a christening and 40th birthday party, it was a girl we work with in Elmbank and most of the office were there, it was 11am to 6.00pm. So now its time for din dins.

Speak to you soon.

LOL
Anne
Enjoy the rest of your stay in Vietnam......

Anonymous said...

Hello Gerard, the tourist hater. Did you suffer from claustraphobia when you were in the tunnels ,Gerard Idont understand their monetry system at all. You will have so much to remember when your an old guy all these escapades you have taken part in . There isnt much going on just now Gerard, the one good thing is the children go back to school tomorrow also all the shopping has come to a halt now christmas & new year are finished , you will be thinking people dont answer your blogs possibly none of us are up to very much right now ,or after the festivities everyone is feeling a tad lazy . You keep blogging & we will keep reading. cheerio PATSY.......

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, finally got sorted out with the internet, I was on the phone for two hours getting talked through it, the person I was talking to was Indian, probably that was where my call was coming from, but I couldnt understand her, she was driving me nuts. now I know what you have to go through sometimes... anyway we had a good trip down, it took us three days two nights in a hotel, we came down Detroit Michigan, Cincinatti Ohio, Kentucky, Tennesee, Atlanta Georgia, and then into Florida, two thousand two hundred Kilometres, no hold-ups just driving driving all the way. we have been here for a week and really enjoying it all, the weather was cool for a few days, but now its high 70s low 80s tomorrow. I have'nt had a chance to read all your blogs as I said I just got hooked up, but I will set some time aside tonight and catch up with all your news...OH I forgot to say HAPPY NEW YEAR. and I will be talking to you soon. take care...Mary from sunny Florida.

gerry said...

Hi Anne,Saigon is quite large, I am here for 8 nights. The machine gun was more fun. Hope you enjoyed your din dins. BTY the name of my hotel is An An !!

Hi Patsy, yes I must admit the confined space was too much for me especially as the tunnel was so small and to get through it you had to bend double, it was also so very hot inside there and dusty too. Yes the money is like monopoly money. No problem but I do wonder if people return to read my reply... so if you do read this then please say so in your next comments so I know that you did !!!!!!!!

Hi Mary, Happ new year to you too, have a look at my new year video. Sounds like you had a good trip down there, nice to wake up to sunshine isn't it... we can rub it in to those living in the UK !!
Welcome back........