Saturday 26 January 2008

Arrived in Davao...

I didn't sleep very well last night (Friday) so ended up catching the 7.30am bus (Saturday), everyone said that it takes between 5/6 hours, as usual that was wrong, it took exactly 7 hours and even then only because the driver drove like a man possessed. He was taking hairpin bends so fast that we were thrown side to side, we were driving round mountain ravines and I just had to close my eyes !! I thought to myself I really should say something to him but you don't feel as though you should, but if I was flying through the air over the side I would probably be saying to myself that I should have.... I didn't and managed to get here safely.

I had no hotel reservation, I had sent 2 requests to 1 hotel but as usual they don't bother to read them, I got a taxi and went there anyway, I got the room that I wanted which to be honest is better than I expected, it is a high class hotel but is a bit away from the downtown area. I went to the bar to eat and drink and am now downtown typing this.
As I have mentioned before Davao has a reputation here because of the mayor, he has his death squads (police officers) that assassinate criminals........ quite unbelievable... he even admits to it and no-one does anything about it. I was talking to the bar manager and he was saying to me that I have no worries here, I can walk around at any time and no-one will rob or harm you because of the mayors policies.

I am just going to type this, have a look around and then an early night watching TV.

Another weekend has come around........ !!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Gerard,I seem to be the only one who writes HELLO everyone writes HI I justlike to be different . How do those guys pass their driving "tests" they all seem to have death wishes . We could be doing with the"Mayor "over here chasing the "real criminals instead of kids off the street for playing football . Thanks Gerard for your postcard that was some "rush hour" in the card looked like a football match coming out. I dont know how you can stand all the travelling on those mad buses I know you would get nowhere if you did,nt take them oh!! the trials and tribulations you put up with,all in a good cause. We have had snow ...storms for the past few days so tonight I treated us to a "fish supper "all vinegar & tomatoe sauce I know you dont like that kind of food so I guess I am not tormenting you as if I would......I had already written this answer & somehow lost it so I hope you dont get a double dunt. cheerio from [raining cats and dogs] glasgow .......Patsy. kids off the streetdoing with the mayor over here to go after the "real criminals " instead of chasing kids off the street for playing football.

gerry said...

Hello Patsy,....Snow.... oh yes... thats that white stuff isn't it !!
Yes you don't mess with the police here.. they just shoot you.. no sweat.
A fish supper... no I would love that... chips dripping with vinegar.. yes you can't get fish 'n chips like you get in Glasgow anywhere else in the world.