Friday 21 December 2007

Street children..............

Thursday was a quiet day for me........... well I can't be galivanting around Manila every day..... can I !!!!!

Patsy made a comment on my last post to the effect that she would like to take some of the poor kids home and feed them........ yes I feel like that too but of course you are very limited on how you can help, that's not to say that you shouldn't try.

I was sitting in a 7-11 store drinking a soft drink and just looking out the window, I was in there cooling down while I was on one of my long walks, there was 2 young girls standing there looking at me through the glass begging.......... I'm sure that they have practiced the forlorn look to make tourists give them a few pesos......... you can't blame them, if it works then you eat a little better...............anyway the look got to me also, I was sitting beside a Filipina ( the "a" at the end indicates a female) she noticed that they were targetting me and told me not to mind them, but I couldn't, so through her I invited them in and told them to buy some food and they could have a drink also, the first kid picked up a very expensive bar of imported chocolate............. Nooooo....... get the basic stuff, anyway they did and they sat outside eating happily. I just carried on with my drink...... within a couple of mins.....there were another 5/6 kids at my window....... I'm sure that the first 2 must have phoned them on their mobiles.... just kidding.
The Filipina told me to ignore them or I will have all the street children in the neighbourhood standing there. So I told them just to share with their friends.

It isn't easy as you would like to help them all, I do help as best as I can even though I am limited.
I would love to be able to find some way of finding them shelter so that they have a roof over their heads at night, the truth though is that there are shelters provided for street children but they don't want to stay there, yes they get fed and have a bed but there are also rules. These children have lived on the streets doing whatever they want, they have lots of fun with their friends and they have managed fine so far although they have to beg. They don't want to live in some house having to be in bed by a certain time and adults telling them what to do. They are too used to their own freedom and choose to live this way.


I hope that you and your family have a great final day at work or school. Don't get stressed about that last minute Xmas shopping....... I don't envy you !!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard, I did'nt realize you have 7/11 stores over there too, I guess they are all over the world. its just so sad for these street kids, but as you say it's all they know.. are you not doing your badminton coaching just now, you must be missing it.. have you heard of the new one its called pickle-ball, its a cross between badminton, table tennis, and lawn tennis, seemingly it's taking on in the States and Canada.. it was two Senator's were on the beach with their dogs and they came up with this game and marketed it, (nothing else to do with their time) one of their dogs was named pickles, so they called it pickle-ball. one of my friends play's it and loves it, she bought a new bat and it cost her $70, seemingly its been in Canada for 8 years, first I've heard of it, but maybe you have heard about it over there... it is 8:15 our time I take it you have just finished your blog, I must have beat Anne for first place this time.. (have I) I will say goodnight and Godbless.. Mary

gerry said...

Hi Mary, yes you did beat Anne to this post !!
Yes they have most things American here, McD's,KFC, 7-11 plus many others.
Badminton coaching is quiet until the new year, no actually I don't miss it as I always like a break from it, it helps to referesh you for the new term.
No I haven't heard of Pickle-ball, I'll stick to what I know as I struggle with that enough these days. Yes rackets for all sports can be expensive, my last racket cost me USD 275.
Enjoy your weekend