Thursday 27 December 2007

nearly over.........

Well Xmas is nearly over for another year. Boxing day was just me travelling from Angeles to Manila from 3pm til 5pm. I watched some cricket at the resort thats why I stayed until the 3pm bus. I watched Australia play India and I saw 6 aussie wickets fall which is always good to see !!

Thursday the 27th I went with a group of 12 to an Italian restaurant here in Makati in Greenbelt, the price doubles simply because it is in Greenbelt. It was a nice meal and I was given 3 pressies which was nice.

I left there at 11pm and on the way home I met again the young girl that I mentioned before if you remember. Last time I took her and 2 boys that I thought were her brothers into a small place to get something to eat. She remembered me and asked me to buy some flowers from her, then she asked me for another meal, I felt happier giving her some food, she got a little bit more friendly and opened up to me as I watched her eat. She lives in one of the "slum" areas not to far from here, she buys the flowers for 15 pesos and sells them for 50 pesos, the profit of 35 pesos goes to her mum to buy food. She said that she normally comes to my road Fridays and Saturdays (this was Thursday) I would guess that's because most people have been out for a drink and are more liable to give you money. The 2 boys that are normally with her are neighbours not brothers.

She told me that she is 16 although she looks about 12, she is streetwise so never mind how much you help she will always ask for more, she asked me for the jeepney fare home and also if I would sponsor her through school. I helped her have a nice meal and drink.... even though she is quite poor, dirty and unkempt, she still insisted in eating her chicken and rice with a spoon and fork, even I would just use my fingers... strange !! Try eating a chicken with a spoon and fork it isn't east believe me.
She walked with me past my condo to her corner, as it was now near midnight and after all it was Xmas so I gave her 100 pesos. Still not sure if I'm doing the right thing as it just encourages her to beg from foreigners and I'm not making much difference to the whole problem of poverty here. But I always remember that old tale about the starfish..... for those that haven't heard it, it goes like this;

a guy walking along a beach sees 1000's of starfish stranded on the beach, there is an old lady picking them up and throwing them in the sea, he walks upto her and says " I admire what you are trying to do but there is so many that you won't make any difference" the old lady picks up starfish to throw into the water and says " but it makes a difference to him"........................

Hope you all had a great Xmas and can now relax, if you see somneone in need try and give them a kind word at least.... merry xmas..........

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

As you said Xmas is over its just Hogmany left. Are you doing anything, how do the Filipinos bring in the New Year?

Glad you received some pressies you didnt say what they were.

You will have to watch that young girl, she is taking a chance talking to strangers you could have been someone who could have taken advantage of her. She also knows where you live, just take care.....

Take care

LOL

Anne xxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne,I will be spending New Years Eve here in Makati as they have a huge fireworks display at midnight with fun stalls, food etc. An American that lives here describes it as a remake of WW2 !
The pressies were a cake, a bottle of red wine and something that I haven't opened yet.
We are in Manila....not London, there are 6-16 years old children on the streets at midnight talking to strangers... I am sure she would thank you for your concern (and your money)but these kids are streetwise and usually have someone in the background watching them ( cos they want the money !!).
Life is different here... normal concerns don't apply... trust me.