Wednesday 26 December 2007

8am Boxing day

Well Xmas day was a bit of a bummer really but you get used to that when you a single person on these special days.
I was up around 8.30 a bit late for me, the staff had already set up the dining area and I could see where I had been placed, I guessed though that I wouldn't end up there as people don't like single people on there table if they have a group.
I had a lovely breakfast, typed out my post for xmas eve and went back to my room to relax. At 11.15am I went down to the restaurant area early rather walking in late. As I guessed I had been moved to another table, probably was moved more than once but ended up on the table by the door. It didn't really matter as I was only there for the food but I wish groups would consider singles a little bit more, not keep putting them aside out of their way.
Anyway I was on a table for 8, the people on this table were a group of 6 (they were obviously too late to move me anywhere else) and a single Filipino guy who was placed opposite me. I sat there and pondered... through my experience in life I guessed the Filipino guy would walk in see that he is sat opposite an old foreigner and quickley backpeddle to his room or somewhere else. Why I am so good, as that is exactly what happened, the one single Filipino guy walked in, took a quick look, prentended to go to the loo ( he has a room and probably just left it) then walked straight back out never to be seen again.
The group of 6 turned out to be a group of 7 so the single Filipino's name plate got moved to the bar (they didn't know that he wasn't coming), could have been me if I had not already been sitting there.
Everyone that entered knew each other, obviously they were all locals married to Filipinas.
The 7 at my table consisted of 4 guys and 3 Filipinas + 1 child, the 4 guys sat at the opposite end to me, the 2 young Filipinas sat opposite each other next to their husbands and the mother of 1 of them sat opposite me. She was obviously from a province and probably didn't speak much English, she was probably embarrased to be sitting opposite a foreigner. The child sat on the his mother's lap next to me so I got lots of sticky utensils on my arm, leg and head sometimes but no problem as it led to some conservation... she saying "sorry" me replying "no problem" well it's better than no talking at all !!!!

To top it all I wasn't very hungry so ate very little, I stayed for about an hour watching and listening then just went to my room, I got out my laptop and sat on my balcony surfing and snoozing.
There were over 100 people there for dinner, all the guys were over 50 and all of their partners were under 30... where am I going wrong ?? Saying that though I have had 2 serious proposals of marriage and turned them down and young woman constantly ask me for my phone number and email address, as I type this 2 of the young waitresses have just come to ask for my address... is it my good looks.... maybe not but I will give an insight as to what it is all about in another post... some of you will learn about the culture here and it will be so different from your perceptions.
I will be able to destroy a few myths (IMO) that I know some of you believe through no fault of your own.. the media has so much control of peoples perceptions, it is scary sometimes.

I hope you all.. especially my sisters have a lazy Boxing day with their feet up and their head on a big cushion.

Hope you all have a great day

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Late again it is now 1.10am and I'm still on the computer.

The christmas meal went well but havent enough room in the fridge for the leftovers and I have already fed Jet with the leftover turkey. We didnt drink too much I think when you're eating so much you dont have time for drink.

We are at Kevins tomorrow he and Kelley are cooking, he's making the soup and Kelley cleans up after him,he is an excellent cook.

You should be back in your condo in Manila by now, you will be glad you got away for Christmas, sounds like a very nice place.

Speak to you tomorrow.

Take care & God Bless

Your big sister

Anne xxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, you are up so late especially after all the xmas fuss.
Hope you have a great meal at kevins.
I am back in my condo now, yes angeles is ok as long as you don't visit the girly bars.
Take care, Gerard