Saturday 8 December 2007

Foreigners....................................

Over here if you are a non Filipino they call you a "foreigner". Lots of non Filipinos feel insulted by that, I'm ok with it as it is just a term. They could use better terminology but as far as I'm concerned it's no big deal. The only time that I don't like hearing it is when I am about to buy something from anywhere.... it usually goes like this; Hi I would like to find out some information about buying..... or having this or that done... yes sir hold on I will phone that office....... I listen...... gaga .... blah blah....hfyuaaa... blah blah..... foreigner......ok.... yes sir they will be straight down. At that point I know that the price has just doubled at least !!!!!!

Everyone that is non Filipino falls into the category of "foreigner", one of the downsides is that some races are disliked here more than others.... especially Koreans as they do look down on Filipinos as beneath them and do treat them badly, but you as a "foreigner" fall into the same category as them..... by the simple use of that term "foreigner".

At home we don't use terms like that, especially in London as sometimes there are more non Brits there than natives. We also are very aware of the race differences and the laws that cover what term you can use or not, we are so politically correct at times that it's quite pathetic in some cases. One of the things that I like about here is that they are not really politically correct and they don't worry about it either. Let's be honest, in this country I am a foreigner... that's simply a fact. It maybe... in some instances nice to be called something else.... no I don't know what...... but the term foreigner is a sort of alienation I suppose. That's the argument with objecting non Filipinos anyway. Hey I have been called a lot worse in my life and I'm sure that I will again, I would prefer people not calling to me "hey Joe" and calling me a Kano, that is because they think that every white person is an American but I can live with that, especially as it is usually said with a broad smile !!!

Thursday and Friday were quiet days, just done the usual things that I would have done if I was at home in London. Sometimes I feel that as I am in a foreign country that I should be doing this and that every day, but I am not a tourist as such.......... I live here !!! It makes a difference.

I count Xmas time as the half way point of my experience here, after Xmas it will then be the second half and nearer to me going home.......... which at this point....... I dread.... big time !!!!
But who knows maybe by April I will be looking forward to going back to work in the rain, getting up at 6.30am every morning, seeing bad behavior on the streets every day, watching the young drunks in Uxbridge on a weekend, listening to them screaming and shouting as they walk down my street at 2am............... yes just maybe I will be looking forward to that..............mmmmm........... can I bribe that government official to let me stay here indefinitely !!!! Please I beg you..... don't make me go home....... please, please......pretty please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Any donations to the "keep Gerry in the Phils" fund please send to the address above !!

I hope you all have a fun packed weekend.... enjoy

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Foreigner,

As you said you have been called worse things. Can you not say I'm a British Foreigner.

Actually a foreigner here is when they are doing a job on the side, we would have called it a homer.

it must be hard every time you go to buy something or take a cab it doubles in price that would p..ss me off. Can you not get a filipino to buy it for you or take a cab with you. I know that wouldnt be possible but we wouldnt do that here.

Cant believe that you are almost half way through your Filipino experience, it has flown passed.
By April you might be delighted to come back to the UK what with so much sun and holidays you might bel glad to come back to St Andrews where I have no doubt you will get a warm welcome. You will be able to talk to all the children about your experience.

Take care

Your loving sister(nearly typed living)

Anne xxxx

gerry said...

Hi Anne, it's a bit early for you to be posting a comment. Its not what I say that matters its their words not mine.
Buying yes... cabs are a different matter altogether.
Delighted to return............ I don't think so.... being hung by my privates sounds more inviting.

gerry said...

Hi Patsy, so you have snow in Scotland, I can't say that I miss that cos I don't !!
Yes I agree that we all should all life our lives to the full as we only pass this way once. There are more footsteps behind me than in front on this short journey.