Wednesday 19 September 2007

You never think it will happen to you

Tuesday was an uneventful day, just relaxed, saw another condo and stayed at home in the evening.

Wednesday was very different.............................

As I didn't go to bed until 4am I didn't get up til after 10 am, done all the usual things, showering etc, had some lunch and decided to walk downtown at 12.45pm. I walked down Makati Avenue as usual thinking to myself how cool it was and the walk was nice. I got to the main intersection and crossed half way waiting for the traffic to stop so that I could cross the 2nd half. Just at that point I heard a loud bang near me, I thought is that a firework or a gun, 2 more loud bangs and I realised that it was gunshots especially as people around me were screaming and running for cover, the guy next to me dived to the floor, I decided I'd better do something so I kneeled down. In that split second I tried to take stock of what was happening, I looked across to my left about 20 yards away, there was a small pickup vehicle with flashes coming through it, he was driving slowly towards going across my path but then veered to his left as he reached me, he then picked up speed and was heading away from me towards the direction that I was walking.

He drove towards the building that was ahead of me, at the same time more bullets were hitting his back window, I could clearly see the holes appear from the shots, he then drove into the concrete of the building and came to a stop, I looked back to where the shots were coming from but only saw cars starting to drive away fast, it could have been the gunmen or ordinary drivers just getting out of the way. After about 10 seconds or so people began to stand up to see what was happening and so did I, what do you do in that scenario, I certainly didn't know what to do but I was heading south so thought it best just to continue on my journey which took me up to the vehicle, I wasn't being morbid but I was first to reach the vehicle and saw a huge hole in the drivers window, the driver was leaning against his door with blood coming from his head obviously dead.

There was 10 or 12 shots fired but I think most, if not all hit the driver or his vehicle. Normally there are lots of police around these main junctions but I didn't see any at that point, either they kept their distance until it was over or possibly it was them doing the shooting as the police here have been known to take justice into their own hands.

The Mayor of Daveo admits that he has a police group that kills criminals undercover but he says that he does warn them to give up crime before he decides that they should die !!!! Nice eh !

Strange day...... strange world............. sometimes you can be in the wrong place at the wrong time....... 1 stray bullet and I might not be writing this !!!!!

I willl let you know the reason for the killing if it is in tomorrows paper.

UPDATE 12 midnight
It turns out that there were 2 men shot dead. They and 2 others had just picked up 6 million pesos (60,000 pounds) from the bank, 6 robbers demanded the money, they refused so the robbers shot them. The money was returned to the owner that the guards worked for. He got his money but 2 of them lost their lives............. ??

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

My-goodness what a scare you must have got, just as well you ducked down, otherwise you might have got hit. hope you have a safe seven months. ttyl talk to you later. Mary..

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry
glad you arrived safely.It sounds like you had a lucky escape this week it must have been pretty scary!!
Thanx 4 the meal the other week we all really enjoyed it, shame you didn't remember getting home!!
Things in recep still hectic just hope it settles down soon.
Hope you sort out a condo soon, I'm sure you will.
Have a fab time, spk again soon,
be careful
Debbie

Anonymous said...

We nearly had to get that plaque ordered!! Will also pass on your message to Alicia and Frank.
Keep your head down, Paul

Anonymous said...

Hi Mary, actually there's no time to be scared as such, it's a case of trying to understand what's happening then deal with it.

Hi Debbie, Nice to hear from you !!!
Keep popping in and let me know how you are doing, hope things get easier in recep. You take care.

Hi Paul, best maybe to keep the plaque on standby the way things are going. If you have to put one up for me, I want it above the front entrance door with a pic of me so that I can look down and give some parents the evil eye ;-).

There was another robbery across the road from where I play badminton, no-one was hurt and I wasn't anywhere near at the time.

Anonymous said...

Sounds more exciting than Abu Dhabi! Our most exciting moment was washing the balcony and not realising there were a crowd of people walking past for Friday prayer1
Be careful Gerry, although after so long at St Andrews you must be used to laying low and keeping you head down. Enjoing the blogspot! Ruth

Anonymous said...

Hi Ruth and Amin + kids, nice to hear from you and thanks for visiting my site.
I know from experience how deadly Ruth can be with a mop !!