Sunday 17 February 2008

Sunday 11.40pm

Just had a complete day at home so obviously nothing to report.

I am feeling stronger every day and am looking forward to having a long walk in the next day or two.

Unfortunately I will have to see a dentist again as some teeth feel sensitive and may need fill ins to be repaired.

With having so little to do over the past week or so I have been thinking about my time here so far, would I like to retire here and if I did what would I need.. not just finance which is quite high... if I want to live in Makati of course it would be close to £1000 per month to live the good live. Of course much less if I could live in the less salubrious areas which I don't think I could unless I met someone that lived there, even then I would find it difficult as I do like the good life.

In some ways the question isn't can I afford to live in the Phils but more so could I afford to retire in the UK, my money wouldn't go far, the winters are cold and wet, crime is very high, street behaviour is extremely poor, retirees are looked down upon in general and there is no respect from youth in the main. Here in the Phils the opposite is true, mature people are valued and respected by all, street behaviour is generally vastly superior to the UK, in saying that the one difference is that if you do meet the bad guys here then it could be at gunpoint.

In the UK when I get too old to look after myself I will have to go into some type of nursing home, it won't be a private one as I couldn't afford it so it would have to be a public one which never brings up good images.
Here in the Phils on my state pension I could, if I lived alone, afford 24hour nursing care, if I was married then I could easily depend on my "family" to look after me until the day comes. The family here is the most important part of life for all, NOTHING comes before family.. NOTHING !!!!! Trust me I see it constantly, some is very positive...i.e. taking care of each other, some of it in my opinion is negative, i.e. family is so important that you could be taken advantage of to help the family. So it's a double edged sword but when it works well it is a great social strength.

Getting tired again so time for my bed.

Hope you all had a great weekend

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

I think you are back to your old self. Dont go for a long walk to soon give yourself some times. When you're sitting in your condo you feel good and strong, you think you could go for a long walk, going is ok but coming back can be difficult.

Now you have had time to reflect over the last 5 months you will no doubt be making some decisions. I think you could have a good life in the UK and if and when you have any health problms you can get them sorted out free, after all you have paid into the NHS for years, but the decision is yours.

Just getting ready to do my ironing and watch Corrie, cos I'm an old age pensioner, but not ready for an old folks home just yet.

Take care

LOl

Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

hi Anne, yes I haven't gone too far yet as although I do feel good I still have had a few short lapses with headaches etc.
A good life in the UK ??? Are you sure ??? Don't you see how the country is crumbling before your eyes !!
living in an old peoples home.....It may not be so bad for you with having children at least to visit you.. ..we could have an interesting chat the next time we meet.