Wednesday 9 April 2008

This reallyis my last post on Philippine soil !!

I didn't go to bed last night but I probably fell asleep for about an hour. I was in the shower at 6.15am, I then packed my laptop and the rest of my stuff, it took me longer than I thought. I finished packing at 7.20am just in time for the rental agent's arrival, I then noticed that I hadn't packed my dvds and CD's so I had to make room for them. I packed my kettle and other stuff for coach William and left it all in the lobby for him to collect... time was then becoming an issue as it was 7.40am and the taxi was due at 7.45.. rushed back upstairs for my last check... sorted out Teddy the agent ( really helpful guy) then got mu luggage downstairs for the taxi. Getting stressed...... I have 6 bags to take to the airport... How can I reduce them !! don't know so just get there and worry then.

The building assistants put my bags in the cab as I was saying goodbye to people ... trying to keep one eye on my luggage in case the cabbie legs it with my gear. Now in the cab and on my way to the airport... a bit more relaxed now.... get to the airport at 8.30am... trying to find a cart for these 6 bags... this knee problem is getting on my nerves... luggage on cart... reach the first security checkpoint.. pass through there no problem, onto the conveyor belt checkpoint, I'm hobbling and trying to get 6 bags on this blooming belt... goes through and then have to get another cart for these 6 bags... the airport is like an ants nest with so many people crammed in there.. I'm walking (hobbling) with this cart trying to get through the throng to reach my check in desk..... luckily I'm flying business class so need to queue there.... is she going to allow me 3 bags checked in and to take 3 aboard ???? She is a pretty and friendly young girl, we chat... 7 months sir you must like it here.... yes yes love it .. what else can I say so she lets me get these bags on.....I say lots of nice things and she lets me take 3 bags !!! THANK YOU !!

First hurdle over.... now to queue up to pay the 750p terminal tax... keeps myself busy in this queue filling in my immigration form..... now I am in the queue for immigration.... through there too... this has all taken over 1 hour, I'm hot, stressed.... watching your luggage all the time, don't lose your passport or boarding pass etc etc. Now in queue for last security check... sail through there... now on my way to the business lounge... get inside.. sit down in a comfy chair and let all the stress and anxiety leave the body. I can sit in here relaxing until 15 mins before the flight takes off..... which is where I am at this moment... it's now 10.20 am, 10 mins and I will be aboard back to dear old Blighty !!

Time for me to go.... Thanks to all for taking the time to visit my my blog and leave comments.

This is me signing out for the last time .... Gerry in the Phils..... soon to be sad of Uxbridge..... :-(

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Glad you got through all the security etc with so many bags I would have had a heart attack.

No doubt by the time you read this you will def be back in grey old England (Uxbridge) to be exact.

You will need a few days rest to get over your journey and then back to work, no doubt all the staff will be waiting for you.

Speak to you soon.

LOL

Anne xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

Glad you got through all the security etc with so many bags I would have had a heart attack.

No doubt by the time you read this you will def be back in grey old England (Uxbridge) to be exact.

You will need a few days rest to get over your journey and then back to work, no doubt all the staff will be waiting for you.

Speak to you soon.

LOL

Anne xxxxxxx

Anonymous said...

Well Gerry,
No need to be sad....yes, you are returning home and by the sounds of it, you don't really want to. HOWEVER,.....and this is going to sound all cliche, but it has to be said.....You have done something that most people don't do. Many people think they can't do a trip like that, "oh..what about my job, house, car etc....I could never do that or go away that long...(worry and fear along with it)" But you have done it, and now you have come out the other end of the whole process with a new perspective and a bunch of great experiences within the last 7 months, when most of the people you know have basically only been to work and back home over and over again in that same 7 months. I hope you don't feel deflated coming home, but walking with your chest inflated with your chin up....knowing that you DID exactly what you said you would do. I find that people just say they are going to do things but never get around to it. "oh...one day I'll go to that country...one day". Well, *one day* isn't on the calendar last time I checked. There is something to be said for that "say it and do it" attitude and approach that is rather empowering. Good for you! Well done.
Now, what I'm interested in hearing about is how you settle back into the UK lifestyle again over the next few weeks. What you find strange or different with fresh eyes again. Don't stop this blog. Keep it going. As I said, I tune in everyday to see what you're up to. You have a good writing style that keeps each posting interesting. So keep up the good work. I know when you get back home from something like this, you have so many great stories to tell everyone near you, but not everyone can relate because they haven't done what you have done. Therefore, you should continue blogging, I always appreciate a good travel story....but maybe that's just me.

I'm hoping that this lifts your spirits upon return. Welcome home Coach GERRY YAAAAY!!! (lots of applause!!!).
take care,
Gary in Canada

Anonymous said...

I know you'll read this in Uxbridge cos I'm sitting at the computer checking the times of your flight from Amsterdam which is due to land in 15minutes. I'll let u know when i see you in about an hour (and for the rest of your family)that I am one of the other 13/14 people who have been looking at your blog regularly. Mainly to see whay has been happening in your obviously lovely part of the world but also to keep all those at St.Andy's aware of whats been happening to you. It doesnt sem that half of them can operate a computer but that education for you eh. (only a joke!!)
I can see that you have totally loved doing what you've been doing and am sure that you'll be back soon(whenever that may be).
Hey. I've just thought. While waiting for your bags at Thiefrow will you read this and be able to post this on your blog before I collect you. That would be fun eh.
Anyway Gerry, I'll see you very soon with a trolley or two(one for your bags and one for you) and you'll be home in dear old Uxbridge as the lager louts are starting to prowl and the totty are on the pull.
See you soon mate.
Paul Clargo

gerry said...

Hi Anne, Yes I am replying to this at home, yes I actually have another week off from school.

gerry said...

Hi Gary, Thanks mate for the inspiring words and I will keep posting for a while, not every day of course.
Yes I am lucky I had a great experience among many in my life, the Phils will always be in my mind.
Thanks again for the encouragement.

Hi Paul C, thanks for all your help over the past 7 months, keeping me and the staff in touch via my blog, and thanks for looking after my home and also for collecting me from the airport.