Sunday 6 April 2008

my last weekend is over.......

Well that's the weekend over, it was OK albeit a bit quiet.

Sunday I spent a lot of time in Glorietta just sitting in the coffee bar and watching the world go by. I took lots of pics and generally just people watched, I sat and thought about life and how and what I have to do to achieve what I want for the rest of my life.

I have had friends phone to ask me to go for a meal this week but I don't have the time now, Monday is all badminton and on Tuesday I have to pack, clean the condo and sort out the bills and rental contract, return keys etc etc.

I have made up my mind for sure that I want to retire as early as possible and move to the Philippines, that isn't an easy decision as you may think. Even though I have lived here for 6 months and loved it, there is still so much else to put into the pot to think about.

Each time that I walk around the shops there is never anything that I need or want to buy, I can afford just about anything within reason but I have everything in life that I need, that's a good position to be in. I sometimes wish that I could find something that I want or need but I never can.

I can never buy a house or lot here in the Phils, foreigners are not allowed to own land here, I am allowed to buy a condo but even then only 40% of the condos in that building can be owned by foreigners. Luckily I am happy with a condo, if the pesos goes back down that would help me to buy 2 condos, 1 to live in and the rent from the other will help to maintain my lifestyle.

Do you know that I brought so much stuff that I have never used, especially things like sun screen, insect repellent, tablets for this and that... they will all be returning home with me. I did use some after sun once but that's about it, I will be having a toiletries sale on my return.

I Have had just over 20 hits on average per day, that is to say that my blog has had over 2o visitors per day on average, now there is me, Anne, Mary & Gary, Jan, sometimes Patsy and lately Helen and of course occasionally some friends. That works out to about maybe 7 visitors each day that I can account for..... of course the question is ...... who are the other 13/14 ???

Well enough for tonight.... I hope you all had a great weekend and your next working week is good too.

Love from a hot but beautiful Manila.............

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there

Would you not miss any of your life in London Gerard, the kids at the school, friends etc. It is a very big decision and I know you have talked about it for years and looked in to everything. Could coaching Badminton be a lucrative business, one to one like you have done in the past in Uxbridge.
Thanks for all the information over the past months although I must have commented for about one month and though you were just not answering me anyway I eventually worked it out. Safe journey home will speak to you soon Love JAN

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerard,

By the time you receive this comment you will be up and about on a sunny Monday morning. Hope you enjoy the badminton and take with you all your happy memories of the talent and different personalities you have got to know.

I think you have made up your mind about your future, it is a big, big decision and as you say there are still lots of things to think about.

About the sun creams, can you save them up for me as I have just booked a holiday for Keith, Leigh and me to go Cyprus in May, so hence I might need the creams.

I wonder who's been reading your blog daily and not commenting, seems strange.

Enjoy the next day or two and hope you have a great flight. Where do you stop off and for how long? How long does it take? When do you arrive in Heathrow?

Take care
LOL
Anne xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

gerry said...

Hi Jan, No I wouldn't miss anything of London that I can think of. The kids at school move on and anyway I have loads in the Phils.
Coaching badminton I could make some income but then I would have to takeit really seriously and that's not me really.
Yes shame the about that month but Thanks for visiting so much this year it has been helpful to me.

Hi Anne, yes I was up this morning and it was a nice sunny start to the day.
Yes I wil have lots of pics and good memories of some of the nicest people that I have met in my life.

Yes I will talk with people including you which will help me to come to a final decision.
I will save the sun stuff etc for you.
I leave Manila at 10.45 am (Phil time.. 3.45am UK, I arrive in Amsterdam at 7.45pm (6.45pm UK), I then arrive in London at 8.45pm.
So the flight to Holland is 16hours and then 1 hour to London.

Julsitos said...

hi gerry.... i'm one of your readers.... i hope you had a great time here and about your thoughts of retiring- you can contact these guys for help: liveinthephilippines.com

hope you promote the philippines when you reach home...

gerry said...

Hi JJ, thanks for leaving a comment, yes of course i will promote the Phils as I love it here even though it has lots of faults... still way better than the uk.
If you don't mind I would love to know how you found my blog and where do you live, I won't publish any of it if you don't want me to, my email address is gm@gerry7.co.uk just give me some feedback as it would be interesting. Thanks again JJ.

gerry said...

Hi again JJ, I forget to mention that I read Mindanao Bobs blog every day and have done so for over a year.