Monday 2 July 2007

renting a condo

Now that I have my flight booked I have been looking for a condo to rent for 6 months. Not so easy to find, there are lots of condos but nothing that I've liked so far, I may just have to wait til I get there and find somewhere to live, the only problem that I can forsee is that they all want 2 months rental and 2 months security deposit up front. Now that in itself sounds ok but the problem comes when the 6 months is up and you are looking for the extra month and the security deposit to be returned. They are not so quick to giving it back and as within a week or two I will be 7,000 miles away.... well you can see my problem.

I'm not sure how I can resolve this other than putting a clause in the rental contract that the monies must be returned on the final day, whether it would be or not is another question.
My other solution is to hold out and insist on only 1 month rental and 1 month security deposit up front and then don't pay the final 2 months rental which would then makes us all square. They probably wouldn't be very happy with that but it sounds the best option to me.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gerry,

Have you got your accommodation fix yet. I can see you kipping down on the beach.

Please let me know your forwarding address.

Take care

Anne xx

gerry said...

Hi Anne,
I haven't got a condo yet as I am still unsure how I want to go forward, should I rent for 6 months in Manila which will be with a enforceable contract or should I just rent monthly which will allow me to move around the Phils without paying for accommodation twice.
Obviously renting monthly wouldn't guarantee me having the same condo if I decided to stay another month.